Fermented honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickyboy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

Just opened a sealed bucket of honey ready to jar . And found the lid slight
Raise but still sealed. Inside it had partially crystallised and bubbles Coming to the surface as if it was fermenting . I have warmed it up to bring it back but it's gone cloudy and frothy . It's it ruined or can I revive it

Thanks

If you don't like mead it's perfectly ok to cook with. It makes lovely honey cake but you won't be able to just eat it. Portion it up and freeze. Use to cook with as required

I have got some that is like liqueur. Fermented honey and vanilla ice cream mums baba.

Raise but still sealed. Inside it had partially crystallised and bubbles Coming to the surface as if it was fermenting . I have warmed it up to bring it back but it's gone cloudy and frothy . It's it ruined or can I revive it

Smell it then taste it and you will soon know if it is salvageable.

I let it settle and skimmed the froth of the top and its cleared . It looks and taste ok think I've been lucky ,
What makes it go like this it's only 4 months old

Thx

I let it settle and skimmed the froth of the top and its cleared . It looks and taste ok think I've been lucky ,

Thx

It's the way it has crystallised quickly with large crystals
The crystals separate from the rest of the honey leaving the solution they are floating in lower in sugar content and it is this that ferments......

I think that's right

You see it in old jars of honey

Thx

Did you check water content before bottling?

Hi all

Thanks

Heat the bucket of honey to 68 degrees centigrade... this will kill any yeasts and spores.

Keep it in the bucket OR repackage in 1kg plastic pots

You will however have "Bakers" honey but perfectly OK for making cakes!

Yeghes da

Heat the bucket of honey to 68 degrees centigrade... this will kill any yeasts and spores.

Keep it in the bucket OR repackage in 1kg plastic pots

You will however have "Bakers" honey but perfectly OK for making cakes!

Yeghes da

Package it as such and include a couple of recipes for honey cake and you can add an extra ££ to the price maybe? :)

eBay item number:

or you could get one for £10.99 inc P&P from Hong Kong that would also easily measure the water content of your honey... money well spent!

Yeghes da

eBay item number:

or you could get one for £10.99 inc P&P from Hong Kong that would also easily measure the water content of your honey... money well spent!

Yeghes da

Don't the bees check the water content before they seal the cells ?

Latest posts

Back