Feral bees and bait hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s odd…. I suspect the vast majority of us use pine frames and indeed many hive bodies are made of pine. In fact in some countries Pine would be the norm for hive construction.
I’ve not seen any reporting issues with bees entering or using boxes or even frames?
I introduced my very first swarm, donated to me by Ceri Davis (Davies?) a bee inspector back in the early 80s into a brand new pine broodbox with empty frames (just one old comb donated by Ceri) and shook the bees out in front. I swelled with pride as they all marched in on one side of the entrance - beekeeping was going to be so easy! Then they marched out of the other side of the entrance and flew up into a hedge. That was 1983 and I vaguely suppose I shook them back into the hive and shut them in for a couple of days. Anyway, the point is they really didn’t like the new home-made pine box.

That’s odd…. I suspect the vast majority of us use pine frames and indeed many hive bodies are made of pine. In fact in some countries Pine would be the norm for hive construction.
I’ve not seen any reporting issues with bees entering or using boxes or even frames?
Yes it is odd ... but they would not go in via a "normal entrance". If I removed the entrance assembly and tilted the the tree backwards to create a gaping "black hole" above them they would go in a bit reluctantly. So I didnt think it was just the smell of pine, was it the brightness/colour of the "Tree" towering above them? Next year nothing left to chance. The tree outer was now painted tree brown and the entrance blackened and smelling of burnt wood and beeswax. The difference was night and day and repeatable.

Yes it is odd ... but they would not go in via a "normal entrance". If I removed the entrance assembly and tilted the the tree backwards to create a gaping "black hole" above them they would go in a bit reluctantly. So I didnt think it was just the smell of pine, was it the brightness/colour of the "Tree" towering above them? Next year nothing left to chance. The tree outer was now painted tree brown and the entrance blackened and smelling of burnt wood and beeswax. The difference was night and day and repeatable.
I had a tower-of-nuc bait 'tree' this year. Two of three filled, but though there was interest the top one remained vacant. I put a leylandi branch on top, hanging to shade the hive, and voila!

Morgan @mbc

Edit … maybe not. I don’t think Ceri is that old 😉
Haha! No, I met Ceri Morgan @mbc when he was speaking at the recent BIBBA conference in Carmarthen :music-smiley-026: and though I have a few colonies bred from his lines he’s very definitely a different Ceri, ‘newer’ springs to mind :unsure:

I introduced my very first swarm, donated to me by Ceri Davis (Davies?) a bee inspector back in the early 80s into a brand new pine broodbox with empty frames (just one old comb donated by Ceri) and shook the bees out in front. I swelled with pride as they all marched in on one side of the entrance - beekeeping was going to be so easy! Then they marched out of the other side of the entrance and flew up into a hedge. That was 1983 and I vaguely suppose I shook them back into the hive and shut them in for a couple of days. Anyway, the point is they really didn’t like the new home-made pine box.

Similar here one summer. Massive swarm, easily shook and marching in as you say. Then out. Out, in. Then out a day later. Because, I think, stupid here had an eke on made from teak scraps. Naturally " insect repellent". I wasn't long at beekeeping as you can see, grossly underestimated the volume of bees and of course didn't have enough spare boxes ready for such a fortuitous occurrence 🙄IMG_20190628_160447927.jpg

I doubt box material has anything to do with these absconding swarms, probably more a case of them having their own ideas of where they want to be. I really can't see that the smell of a scaffold plank is going to drive them off anymore than that of a plastic compost bin does.

isn’t cedar meant to be naturally repellent?😂
I asked ChatGPT: "What does cedar naturally repel?"

It replied:

"Cedar is known for its natural repellent properties against a variety of pests and insects. Specifically, cedarwood and cedar oil are known to repel moths, fleas, ticks, and certain types of ants. This is why cedar is commonly used in the production of storage units, closets, and chests for storing clothing and other susceptible items. The distinct aroma of cedar, which comes from its natural oils, is effective in deterring these pests, making it a popular choice for natural pest control."

No mention of bees.

Now Teak:
"Teak is a type of hardwood known for its durability and natural resistance to moisture, rot, and pests. While it may not actively repel certain pests in the same way as cedar, its high oil content and natural resins make it resistant to termite attacks and other wood-boring insects. This resistance is one of the reasons teak is commonly used in outdoor furniture, boat building, and other applications where resistance to moisture and pests is essential."

Haha! No, I met Ceri Morgan @mbc when he was speaking at the recent BIBBA conference in Carmarthen :music-smiley-026: and though I have a few colonies bred from his lines he’s very definitely a different Ceri, ‘newer’ springs to

I wished I could of gone to this Richard are there any recordings of the talks anywhere?
@mbc any more talks you have scheduled over the next year I should put in my diary mate?
I would like to come this time.

Haha! No, I met Ceri Morgan @mbc when he was speaking at the recent BIBBA conference in Carmarthen :music-smiley-026: and though I have a few colonies bred from his lines he’s very definitely a different Ceri, ‘newer’ springs to

I wished I could of gone to this Richard are there any recordings of the talks anywhere?
@mbc any more talks you have scheduled over the next year I should put in my diary mate?
Nothing scheduled mate, I'll let you know if owt crops up

Sadly I’m not sure they did make any videos. my wife and I felt it was well worth attending though and would be happy to travel further for it next time. Would have been nice to have met you too! To keep on topic there was some talk of feral / free-living colonies but mostly, I think, about the generally poor state of being heavily hybridised except in some regions.

Sadly I’m not sure they did make any videos. my wife and I felt it was well worth attending though and would be happy to travel further for it next time. Would have been nice to have met you too! To keep on topic there was some talk of feral / free-living colonies but mostly, I think, about the generally poor state of being heavily hybridised except in some regions.
Interesting that I have a few feral swarms and they are mixed race, queens are tan probably more orange .
It’s a bit of a fighting game keeping my blacks pure so I can well understand , I’ve had to contend with chalkbrood in some of my hybrids more so than purer stock , this I’ve noticed over the last three years but hopefully requeening and selection will help .

Maybe see you at the show in Telford next year ?

Interesting that I have a few feral swarms and they are mixed race, queens in are tan probably more orange .
It’s a bit of a fighting game keeping my blacks pure so I can well understand , I’ve had to contend with chalkbrood in some of my hybrids more so than purer stock , this I’ve noticed over the last three years but hopefully requeening and selection will help .

Maybe see you at the show in Telford next year ?
Would be nice to say Hi, no need to wear a gardenia or carry a copy of fifty shades of, um, pollen? 🤔 I’ll simply look at everyone’s hands - from your ‘handle’ you should be easy to spot 😄, me too I’ll be the one talking about bees 😄😄😄

Would be nice to say Hi, no need to wear a gardenia or carry a copy of fifty shades of, um, pollen? 🤔 I’ll simply look at everyone’s hands - from your ‘handle’ you should be easy to spot 😄, me too I’ll be the one talking about bees 😄😄😄

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back