Feeding in Winter while away from the country

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john1

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
i,
I have a colony at the back of my garden (UK).
I will be away from the country end of November to early January (6 - 7 weeks).
I have 1 super full of nectar.
Is it ok keep the super full of honey throughout the winter for the bees instead of feeding?
I will not be able to feed them from end November to early January (around 6-7weeks) as I will not be in the country.
Thanks

By all means leave them the super. I would give them a quick check just before you go. They are more likely to be at risk to starve a bit later when brood rearing ramps up in earnest.
What sort of hives do you use? Putting it in your profile would be helpful for future answers

Is it ok keep the super full of honey throughout the winter for the bees instead of feeding?

Absolutely, in fact in my opinion, that is the only way to go. I don't feed my bees at all (except in emergency situations).

Thank you so much for the replies.
I am using National Bee Hive. Yes, I am planning to keep the best super frames with full of honey.
I will not use QX.
Thank yo so much

Hi John check and feed before you go, quite often it’s later in the winter that many colonies run short. If you are in any doubt or haven’t managed to get enough food in add some candy. Ian

I checked the brood. I can see only a few frames have honey (not much) in the brood box.

So, I believe I need to leave a good super and a candy before I leave for holidays in the end of November for 6 weeks.

Is it ok to leave 2 supers in winter?

I took some good super frames from the top super ad moved them to the super just above the brood box.
Thanks

They are going to get through maybe.......and it's an oft quoted estimate.....of 40 lbs through the best part of the WHOLE winter. A super will hold 25/30 lbs and a brood frame around 4/5.....so I think TWO supers is over kill

They are going to get through maybe.......and it's an oft quoted estimate.....of 40 lbs through the best part of the WHOLE winter. A super will hold 25/30 lbs and a brood frame around 4/5.....so I think TWO supers is over kill
:iagree:

Before you go in November they should all but be fed and ready to go into winter, there is chance they may add some ivy to the stores. You should have a good idea by mid Oct if they are laying up stores in the BB and one can accumulatively add up the frame stores poundage to get an idea of now much they have. Each side of a frame is approx. 2.25 - 2.5lbs when full, if only half of one side is filled conservatively call it 1lb of stores, add all sides up to get an idea of weight.

A super can be left on top if extra stores are required or as many do place a 12.5kg block of fondant on the top bars in an empty eke or super, leave the fondant in its wrapper and just provide a cut out for them to start accessing it.

Before you go in November they should all but be fed and ready to go into winter, there is chance they may add some ivy to the stores. You should have a good idea by mid Oct if they are laying up stores in the BB and one can accumulatively add up the frame stores poundage to get an idea of now much they have. Each side of a frame is approx. 2.25 - 2.5lbs when full, if only half of one side is filled conservatively call it 1lb of stores, add all sides up to get an idea of weight.

A super can be left on top if extra stores are required or as many do place a 12.5kg block of fondant on the top bars in an empty eke or super, leave the fondant in its wrapper and just provide a cut out for them to start accessing it.
You can also actually weigh the hive! I'm surprised that most don't. Hefting is what is often taught but is not an accurate or consistent method. I check that the required weight of stores are in the hive before going into winter. I monitor the stores until spring, by regular weighing, and know what is in there.

You have a point that hefting is a little subjective and sometimes it can be difficult to judge whether a hive is fairly full or fairly empty. Very full and very (Panic) empty are easier to measure and some spring (luggage) scales are cheap enough.

Latest posts

Back