Feeding bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lievanation

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I have now feed my hives 11 litres of sugar solution each in the last week. Is this enough? Or will the bees just stop taking it when they have sufficient?

Its not how much you add, its how much total is in the hive before winter.
/ Seems at least a month too early to be worried about whether you are tanked up or not.

Inspect the hive and note the quantity of stores on each frame (roughly).
Total up how many full frames of capped stores that makes.
One National/WBC brood frame full of honey is about 3 kg. A total of 40lb/20kg is the right ballpark - for when you shut down (for a full colony).
Lift each side of the hive - so you know what it feels like with the amount of stores that you have seen.
Learn the feel of it.
Then you can 'heft' during winter to monitor stores consumed/remaining, without opening/disturbing the bees.
To do it more accurately, buy a luggage scale (they are pretty cheap!)

Last edited:
LOL watch them use it up and produce bees...no bad thing mind you but expensive.

It's too early yet to be winter feeding. I am not evening thinking about it for another month, October is early enough.

Patience.

PH

As PH, although a) I may not feed or b) may start earlier than that.

If one gets caught out one can feed fondant throughout the winter. One can remove a capped frame of stores (or more) and replace now (preferably with drawn comb) and later reinstate the stores if required, or store over winter for later use. There are options, so no need to worry too much - just better to get it right for the bees as it generally costs the beekeeper less in time and effort as well as cost.

Back