feeding and treating

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
my bees are in the welsh mountains and with the nice weather are quite active although chilly again today and rain on its way -but the golden question is......
when do i start treating and feeding sugar solution ...theyve had ample fondant so i know its a while yet before more feeding but any ideas? especially treatment?

when do i start treating and feeding sugar solution ...theyve had ample fondant so i know its a while yet before more feeding but any ideas? especially treatment?

Any time that its needed really.

For thymol, isn't the temperature important to ensure evaporation - bit uncertain here Pete.

For thymol, isn't the temperature important to ensure evaporation - bit uncertain here Pete.

Yes it needs to be reasonably warm, if using to treat varroa.

Do your bees have varroa, If they don't there is point in treating them, only treat bees for things they have not for things they don't have, prevention is not always better than cure as it can weaken bees immune system a bit like humans and antibiotics for the common cold

treatment

thanks guys -i dont know why but i thought they would routinely be treated this time of year for some reason !!!

working backwards, thats my timetable, i need lots of foragers when the first blossom is out in the orchards, pear/plum/apple/damsons so 21 days from egg to hatched bee, about 21 days to mature to forage. blossom out here in the north usually mid april, so working backwards i start feeding around the 28 feb. taking off fondant as i want the bees to think there is a flow on hence feeding syrup.

If you really want to, you could use Hiveclean. Or am I just being provocative?

Actually, I noticed an improved level of activity last year after 3 treatments, so I'm planning to start off this year with a prophylactic treatment.

If you really want to, you could use Hiveclean. Or am I just being provocative?

Actually, I noticed an improved level of activity last year after 3 treatments, so I'm planning to start off this year with a prophylactic treatment.

Did you use the 5ml per hive, or a different amount?

"Actually, I noticed an improved level of activity last year after 3 treatments, so I'm planning to start off this year with a prophylactic treatment."

all down to the Hiveclean of course and nothing to do with the fact that weather, forage and new bee numbers will have all had massive influence on level of "activity" over the period covered by your 3 (weekly?) treatments.

think about it - a hive at first inspection in say mid march is a very different beast to same hive after easter, with or without unnecessary expensive treatments.

Back