feeding and treating - cant find thread sorry!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkermel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ok so I finally managed to get OH to go on holiday! only 10 days, extractions of honey was done on a couple of hives before i went away but by no meens emptied the hives of stores.

Anyway today I went in to check on the hives and was shocked, all hives have cleared most of their stores and one small colony is in a sorry state.

I have put some bakers fondant on for them to get into straight away as I need to make a couple more ekes up to be able to use rapid feeders.

However I also put the first week of apilife var onto the hives.

My questions are is it ok for me to put liquid feed onto hives (i think i remember someone saying they wont touch it whilst treating) temp during the day is still above 10 deg C or should I just stick with the bakers fondant.

If they wont feed with treatement on then I will need to remove treatment.

Also how the heck have they managed to get through half a super and 4 frames of stores???

Yes you can feed and treat at the same time.

Also you perhaps don’t need to make ekes for feeders, you can use an empty super if you have one spare.

Yep fine to treat and feed at the same time. A small nuc of mine got through 5 litres of syrup in a week while treating with the stinky Api Var blocks so didn't seem to bother them at all.
Have you had any problems with robbing? Just a thought regarding the light stores....

15 litres ( 3 + gallons) of 2:1 thymolated syrup and a full pot of Apiguaard!!
in a week...... greedy little girls!

thanks folks, I will get out there with my waterproofs on I think and get some feed on!

There are a few wasps around but they had been sorting them out, so unless there has been a sudden influx in the last 2 weeks then dont think i can blame robbing, just guessing that they are still a lot more active with brood ect then i realised.

Latest posts

Back