feeding and supers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prana vallabha

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 national hives , 1 nuc
hi ,,,, i am getting ready to feed as some hives have not enough stores , the question is do i put the feeder on top of the super ( hive set up is national brood box ,Q-excluder / super ,crown board , roof ) and let them store in super and brood . Then once they have enough stores move Q-excluder .....

many thanks in advance

How much brood in the deep? Because, presumably the rest is stores?

Do they really need the super? You only feed sufficient for their needs; lots stored and a later flow will mean honey mixed with sugar syrup. Unless this is going to be your autumn feed starting in mid August!

When is best to start autumn feeding ? The supers are part full on each hive , hence extra feed for stores and some stored in broods but not enough to see them through winter ....

When is best to start autumn feeding ? The supers are part full on each hive , hence extra feed for stores and some stored in broods but not enough to see them through winter ....

unless they need it, I start feeding in October after medication. Most will take a 6l rapid feeder of 2:1 in less than a week. My last feed tends to be in early November when they decide not to take any more.

you need to look at your own climate as this may not necessarily be suitable for all.

If the weather deals its cards against me, I have many blocks of fondant in storage... just in case! (the backup plan!)

too much food too soon, and they will swarm due to congestion.

in 2009, mine were filling a super a week of primarily clover honey in September.

As Pete. Clearly these hives do not currently need feeding? How much stores in the super and brood box? When is the next inspection? Are the bees foraging anything? Seems to me that some joined up thinking required, or some more observations taken before coming to the conclusion in the OP. Possibly a case of panic? I would only feed in August if they were actually short of stores.

Up Lampeter way I'd be surprised if the bees aren't still going bonkers over the balsam - don't even start thinking about feeding in this area until early October

Last edited:
Even tho the temperature has dropped significantly, my girls were out collecting HB between showers.

Lets not forget that althought you feel there may not be enough stores in the hive at present for the bees.........

that there wont be so many bees later on...

hi ,,,thanks all ....i am checking tomorrow , i am in lampeter but my bees are in oakford and i never see any brining any balsam in..... I am going to use hive alive with the syrup so thought best to get it down into the hives

Back