Feeding Ambrosia

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
When feeding sugar syrup for winter stores, (Ratio 2:1) i always calculate that finished stores is approx 20% greater than initial sugar fed, ie 5lb sugar fed gives 6lb winter stores. Is there a similar conversion for ambrosia or as it is inverted do i assume input weight equals finished store weight ?.

Never used it but as the ratio is the same then the figure should be roughly right and as some will be eaten as they move it around then the end figure will be less than the theoretical one aye?

Or in other words feed then heft and if in doubt weigh.

PH

When feeding sugar syrup for winter stores, (Ratio 2:1) i always calculate that finished stores is approx 20% greater than initial sugar fed, ie 5lb sugar fed gives 6lb winter stores. Is there a similar conversion for ambrosia or as it is inverted do i assume input weight equals finished store weight ?.

Ambrosia is slightly stronger than true (metric) 2:1.

So you can say that 1.5 kg of Ambrosia contains at least 1 kg of (various) sugars, which should convert to at least 1.2 kg of stores.

/ however, since they are eating stuff to survive, and that might be more or less than what they are bringing in, don't assume that your inputs must equal stores! :)

Latest posts

Back