Feeding after a shook swarm - one2one or two2one?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

region2

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5+
A tad confused - doing a shook swarm tomorrow - should I feed 2:1 (2lbs to 1 pint) or 1:1 (1lb to 1 pint)?

[_] 2:1
[_] 1:1
[_] Other

R2

Isn't it strong syrup for everything except the spring stimulus?

/ but isn't it kinda early for a shook swarm?

Yes 1:1. You want them to use it to build comb and they won't have to collect water to eat that.

I would check your weather. Temps are diving the forecast tonight said and so if one wants to be kind to the bees it may pay to wait a week.

PH

Not terribly important. Home made syrup strengths are just guidelines, not tramlines. We feed them 10 litres of invert syrup, unless there is a flow on and then you can cut it back a bit.

You can get away with a whole lot less.

We did a shook swarm today and are feeding tith 2:1 strong syrup, i think that's right.

As a varaitation we left two frames of open brood (used an uncapping fork to kill the little sealed brood on the frame) to act as a varroa trap. Ten days after we'll remove them and freeze them off.

For feeding after a shook swarm, The fera leaflet says
https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/index.cfm?pageid=167 then link to shook swarm
Unless there is a strong nectar flow feed with ‘heavy’ sugar syrup i.e.600 mils. of water
to 1 kg. of white granulated sugar.(1 pint water to2lbs. sugar) Contact feeders, i.e.
bucket type, are best. In the case of control for EFB or other disease it may be
beneficial to delay feeding for two days. In this way any contaminated nectar carried by
the bees is used in comb building.

The theory is if you feed them 2:1 their instinct is to store it but if it is 1:1 they can metabolise it straight away and use it to do other things like make wax. But like all theories it probably isn't a complete explanantion. Weather and availability of water probably means they can use any concentration for whatever purpose they want, but it may take them a bit more effort.

Not too worried about the temp drop as there will be no brood to worry about!

I'm going 2:1 as that's recommended by the local Inspector and the DEFRA site although I'll monitor it carefully. Lots of water nearby where I am and it's not that cold here in Sussex-by-the-sea...

Don't want to leave it too long because:
A. I'd like some honey this year
B. My Apiary is being used as for the Basic exam in a couple of months
C. I'm away lots after this w/e

Thanks

R2

:iagree:

Shook swarms? Cavernous second brood boxes added? Although here we are forecast to get over the 10 in the day most days so the bees will certainly fly (unless it's torrential) at night it's going to be near freezing for the foreseeable.

Entrance blocks going in and insulation back on the few that have it off.

Sit down for this one! I did a shook swarm two weeks ago to put bees onto 14x12, obviously heeding the very favourable forecast. It was a strong colony. Exceptional comb build, slurping down 2:1. Job done! Just the right opportunity and nature smiled on my venture. I certainly wouldn't be too happy contemplating one now.

Work with nature, as far as you can.

Entrance blocks going in and insulation back on the few that have it off.

:iagree:
Yep, thats where my head is as well. I am putting the space board blocks back on all of mine, no option but to super 2 colonies this week, the others are without and I'll hold out as long as I can. Better to keep the bees and loose the OSR (which is at about 15% bloom around here)

I've always worked on the principle that feeding 1/1 involves carrying twice as much feed around as feeding 2/1, so I only feed thick syrup.

Indeed, bees need elevated temperatures for wax glands to function. Worst case, bees shivering on foundation with no motivation to feed or build comb, which is not a recipe for success.

I've always worked on the principle that feeding 1/1 involves carrying twice as much feed around as feeding 2/1, so I only feed thick syrup.

I've often wondered if I might be simply fooled by folklore on this one. Throughout my bee-keeping years I've fed 1-1 to encourage comb building and 2-1 to get bees to increase stores. I've been successful in every instance so have see no reason to change.
However I do feed 1-1 when there is comb to drawer and 2-1 when stores need increasing..........

Agreed - too cold, hopefully Easter will be warmer!!!!

R2

I've often wondered if I might be simply fooled by folklore on this one. Throughout my bee-keeping years I've fed 1-1 to encourage comb building and 2-1 to get bees to increase stores. I've been successful in every instance so have see no reason to change.
However I do feed 1-1 when there is comb to drawer and 2-1 when stores need increasing..........

If there's no nectar flow bees fed 2/1 will be able to build twice as much comb as bees fed the same volume of 1/1.

Latest posts

Back