Feeder full of dead bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I have 2 hives and have a syrup feeder on both. On one there’s a dam of dead bees preventing the syrup being taken. The other hive has an identical feeder and the syrup is being used.
Grateful for any advice as to what I’m doing wrong.

I have 2 hives and have a syrup feeder on both. On one there’s a dam of dead bees preventing the syrup being taken. The other hive has an identical feeder and the syrup is being used.
This can happen when you first fill the feeder if it’s done too quickly ie bees come up and drown. Best to fill steadily and slowly, allowing bees space in the process. You could try taking it off, pouring out the syrup then cleaning it of the dead bees
and re filling slowly.

C r a p happens, fill slowly or slower and just clean it out and try again.

I've found that certain types of feeder are useless in that respect. Bees drown whatever I do in those big English feeders.
The latest Abelo (Lyson) Ashforth feeders have a concertina of plastic that inserts into the bees' end of the feeder so that no bee is far from a safe wall to climb.
In my experience, best of all are the massive and expensive polystyrene feeders for the top of an Abelo hive.

Last edited:
Just fill slowly or don't let it get completely empty. This happens because too many bees rush to get in and get jammed by the others on top. I find loosening the cap and wiggling it about as I fill chases quite a few bees back down and enables the few submerged bees to float to the top

Thanks for all your replies. I filled both away from the hives and carried them to the hive. I’ll try the sandpaper approach.

i had this at first, no longer, learnings (as above) were

- roughen the inside of cup and outside of cone to allow bees to grip properly
- ensure cone is on properly when you have filled
- fill slowly

I cut up an elasticated support bandage and put it over the cone.
Tucking the edge over and into the hole.
The bees can take it from the bandage and no need to go over the edge.
Seems to work.

Now that's a really good idea! Thank you.
Seems to work.

Seems to work.
I do a similar thing. I cut the cuff off old pairs of socks and put it over the cone so it overlaps the cone. The bees can feed anywhere on the sock so they don't have to stampede to the edge of the syrup which is when I think the leaders may get pushed into the syrup by their hungry sisters behind them. It works for me.

Wouldn’t want to do it with my old socks!

Latest posts

Back