Feed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattx

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Quick question - [ been going through the search but can't find answer ]
Need to boost two hives of mine with some feed - whats the Sugar / Water ratio for this time of year ? Thanks.

I don't find that answer very helpful. 1:1 can mean either of two things. 1lb to 1 pint or 1 kilo to 1 pint. In other words heavy or light syrup please? I know what I would do but the questionner evidently does not.

Surely nobody would expect to change from imperial to metric units in a ratio.

So 1Kg to 1Pt would be a bit illogical. Also when given as a ratio does it matter the measure couldn't it be one wheelbarrow full to one wheelbarrow full? (Yes I know nobody is going to mix it like that but hopefully it illustrates my point).

or even a pint of sugar to a pint of water 1:1

Now that is what I would expect when expressed as a ratio. I have always understood (perhaps wrongly ) that in ratios the units are the same.

its 1 part to 1 part, no matter what unit it is, it can't get much simpler, surely?

so was I right 1:1 then? just checking!

Quick question - [ been going through the search but can't find answer ]
Need to boost two hives of mine with some feed - whats the Sugar / Water ratio for this time of year ? Thanks.

Why do you think they need some feed at this time of the year?
What is wrong?
What is your present hive set up?
Info please and we might be able to help, feeding syrup at this time of the year messes up the honey.

OP your only other post last year was the same question. it seems maybe you need to purchase some books to help you out.

OP your only other post last year was the same question. it seems maybe you need to purchase some books to help you out.

Plenty of books thanks, just did not have them to hand.

That would work

What confuses some people is that a pint of liquid is 20 fluid ounces, a pound of anything is 16 fluid ounces, so you'd need 1 1/4 pounds of sugar with 1 pint of water to get a ratio of 1:1.

Good to remember, "A pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter"

Why do you think they need some feed at this time of the year?

Because I have a very small swarm and want to give them as much help as possible.

What is wrong?

Nothing - yet.

What is your present hive set up?

At the moment - 1 WBC, and 2 Nationals - I was looking after 5 colonies at a previous place of employment

Info please and we might be able to help, feeding syrup at this time of the year messes up the honey.

Easiest is metric
It's by weight. 1 litre of water weighs 1 kilo so 1 litre to 1kg of sugar = 1:1.

Back