Feed hole. To cover or not?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally agree that the crown board should be closed

Utterley amazing. At this rate of back-pedalling it will soon be suggested that it was me who was the one who was insisting on leaving gaping holes in crownboards.

as evidenced by the post about bees making an entrance hole in the top of a box, and thereby letting rain straight into the hive. But that is another matter.

Which post might that be? Obviously not a recent one or I would likely have remembered it. Perhaps you can give a recent link?

Or was it you at fault, once more, for not reading the posts properly or you are trying to baffle brains with b*llsh*t? Not this thread shirley?

http://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18997

I think you are 'clutching at straws' and also gradually moving your goal posts to a much more sensible position. Easily understandable, having looking back at your past posts.

I add the last sentences because of your decidedly argumentative stance previously, so people can back-track for themselves and judge, if they are actually that interested.

If you are going to quote, do it properly. My position has always been that having feed holes open in the crown board in summer is not a big deal, and people do it all the time - whether it is because they think it gives extra ventilation, or it is for a specific purpose doesnt matter - it is not a big deal for the bees. If you disagree can I suggest you use your vast and superior knowledge and become a national bee inspector, as you seem to know more than he does?

Care to show the post you have logged where I insisted on leaving "GAPING" holes in the crown board?

And yes, that was the most recent thread where I see bees doing what is clearly not best for them, unless you are suggesting making an entrance hole in the top of a box is what was best for them?

Of course, bees are insects and instinctual. Their primary driver was to make a hole in this sealed container (and you know all about those), they are not able to "think" about the consequences of doing it there.

Another example is brace comb - this is not in the best interests of the bees in a managed hive, because us humans come along and remove it, thus wasting their precious effort.

I have said this before, and I will say it again - you pick and choose natural instincts to fit your particular opinion. How we keep bees is not "natural" for the bees, if they had their way they would not be in square boxes for a start. If you want to insist on doing things the way bees think is best, then start keeping bees in tree trunks, or in skeps.

until then, we can continue to pick and choose which natural instinct, or "what the bees are telling us" we want to listen to or ignore.

Your arrogance is simply astounding, and knows no limits. Is there ANYTHING you are not an expert on oh bee-whisperer? Apart from physics obviously.

Oh, and CLEARLY I do not know everything about beekeeping, in fact I am more than happy to admit I know hardly anything, but what I do know is that it is an art and most of the things you bang on about is JUST AN OPINION, and not a life or death, black or white choice.

It speaks volumes about your character that you continually choose to denigrate others. Behind a keyboard obviously, as that seems to be the MO for people like you.

Last edited:
Anyway people - you have seen the 2 disperate opinions on the importance or not of blocking the feed holes in crown boards.

One from the national bee inspector, and one from a forumite who laughs at people who lost colonies over the winter and blames it on their beekeeping skills.

You decide.

One of my crownboards was advertised as a coverboard and came with holes in for feeding and two porter bee escapes available for clearing supers. It spends most of its time covered with another piece of wood so it acts as, well I call it a lid!
regards Jim

And yes, that was the most recent thread where I see bees doing what is clearly not best for them, unless you are suggesting making an entrance hole in the top of a box is what was best for them.

Ha Ha Ha! REALLY!! You obviously chose to ignore the true facts. Or try reading the thread properly. Read the very pertinent post of where the box was located. Not very likely to be affected by rain when inside, away from any rain is it? DUR.

Here it is for all to see QUOTE: 'Ive got the box in my old duck house so dry and covered.'

Your apparent attempts to subvert and misinform are incredible. At this point I find it unnecessary to go further back when you were completely 'for' gaping holes in crownboards without mentioning any exceptions, Typical case of the moving goal posts again, I and everyone else can assume.

I need no further, to disparage your claims, whatever else they may be in your rant above. The above should make it clear to all, that you are trying to justify the unjustifiable, by using any excuse you can find.

You really are stupid. So, genius, the bees fricking knew their new box was under a duck house did they? Did they think, "ooh, lets make an entrance, we wouldnt normally make it in roof, but as we are under a shelter we will be fine"?

Are you for real?

"DUR"

Last edited:
the NATIONAL BEE INSPECTOR justified leaving feed holes open.

You really are stupid.

"DUR"

Last edited:
Anyway people - you have seen the 2 disperate opinions on the importance or not of blocking the feed holes in crown boards.

One from the national bee inspector, and one from a forumite who laughs at people who lost colonies over the winter and blames it on their beekeeping skills.

You decide.

As above. :beatdeadhorse5:

The thoughts and opinions of a National Bee Inspector on any topic other than the statutory situation are just that: thoughts and opinions. To which he is fully entitled as are we all.

I once bought a national hive which for some reason had had a travelling screen left on it. Probably two or so years previously. Totally sealed off by propolis. Under a decent roof I might add.

I am given to believe the ethos of the forum is play the ball not the player.

There is an ignore button that some might consider using it seems.

PH

PH are you suggesting I just ignore the personal snipes, jibes and insults, backed up by misinformation?

What is the point of attempting to share advice or opinion when any advice or opinion I give is constantly undermined?

For example, I have never been, quote, "completely FOR" open holes in crownboards. I merely questioned at the time (which was last year) the idea that having open roofspace was as bad/negative as was being suggested. I myself have left it open, and was taught that putting comb/frames in the roofspace was the method for having them cleaned up prior to storing.

Not being negative about roof spaces, because I dared to offer an alternative opinion, all of a sudden becomes me campaigning FOR open holes. And he continually peddles this misinformation. And gleefully uses that misinformation as an example of why both my hives died overwinter, when in fact they died out, like lots of others this winter, for perfectly "normal" reasons.

I am sorry, the moderator refuses to moderate his posts, and I am trying to get on with it and do what I was doing before - offering advice where I can, playing devils advocate for the purposes of discussion, and asking for advice myself. I am "playing the ball", he is not abiding by the forum rules, but I am not going to sit back and let him abuse/accuse/denigrate me.

Maybe if some of the more senior forumites might try and get him to moderate his posts, as the moderator wont?

Anyhow, as I said, I will continue to post as I have before, but I will not be a victim to any bullying (and I am by no means the only one).

He might have lots of useful information/advice, he might have been here since the year dot, he might even be right in your eyes, it might be "his way", but there is no excuse for it. I may be many things, doormat is not one of them.

The thoughts and opinions of a National Bee Inspector on any topic other than the statutory situation are just that: thoughts and opinions. To which he is fully entitled as are we all.
I agree

I am given to believe the ethos of the forum is play the ball not the player.

PH
Again agreed

I dread to think what level of flak the Revd L L Langstroth would have received from certain members of the forum had it been around in the early 1850's when he suggested the requirement for bee-space. :rolleyes:

M and F

I'm not going to try and edit you post down as I am on my phone but, I agree with you totally about the reining in of certain more abrasive members if the forum whom seem to use it for point scoring, assassination of new members and as an outlet for their frustrations.
Civility costs nothing.

Before I get into trouble my apologies to the OP and the forum for being off topic.

Last edited:
M and F

I'm not going to try and edit you post down as I am on my phone but, I agree with you totally about the reining in of certain more abrasive members if the forum whom seem to use it for point scoring, assassination of new members and as an outlet for their frustrations.
Civility costs nothing.

Before I get into trouble my apologies to the OP and the forum for being off topic.

So true :)

Just to add a little grist to the mill, :rolleyes:

I leave them open in the summer usually with a spare super and frames on top, if the bees run out of space they will venture into the upper super rather than build brace comb. If no super over the board and they do start building comb in the roof space they need more room. If it's too draughty for them they will propolise the roof vents.

Where did I learn this from, none other than the National Bee Inspector, Ok the title doesn't make him a good beekeeper but I believe his commercial track record means he must know a bit about bees. :)

This cannot be tru!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have here just now 26 C and I had feeding hole open (5 cm x 1 cm ) when I feeded crystallized honey to a swarm. Swarm occupyes one langstroth.
I looked in the morning how their foundations build up goes, and the hive was clearly cold. Bees had clustered to centre.if

First I thinked WHAT? but Then I noticed open upper hole.

The upper hole keeps simply the hive cold. Bees cannot control temperature if heat escapes.

That is harmfull nonsence that upper hole acts as etra space for expanding. Rubb your eyes twice Out Off Stardard!

There are always options but for the new ones lets keep it simple, no good confusing situations

I wonder how this issue may arise so much talking.

The simple answer is NO ENTRANCE OPEN OF FEEDING HOLES IN THE UPPER PART OF HIVE.

If you have a mesh floor, no upper holes

If you have solid floor, don't keep upper holes open in top half of hive tower.

Yes, I know that is not opinion.

I use 15 mm holes as upper entrances and heat escape via that too.

There is a feeding hole up there like I have in every inner cover. BUt you need not keep it open just for options and just for that that it is a hole.

Even if days temps are 30 C like last summer, hive is too cool at night. Night temps do near 10C before sunrise.

Ah at last - Finman with some choice words of wisdom (not always in the right order but well worth listening to)
Can we now let this lie?
In the end everyone has a different way of doing this - as long as it's not killing the bees why get our knockers in a twist?

Nothing confusing about it. I have always left a feed hole open for when I have comb I want them to clean up. This, by default, is in the summer.

As has my association for the 50 years it has been going.

I have never seen brace comb being built on the roof, here or at the association, or heard of it.

It is a sensible, viable option for those who want to have a frame cleaned out.

Certainly less messy than adding a super UNDER the CB, with a void. They ALWAYS build brace comb there, as everyone who uses an apiguard eke will testify to.

Sorry, I just do not agree that always having the feel holes closed, unless a feeder is on top of them, is a "golden rule".

I am in London, as is my association, so maybe colder weather makes a difference, but isn't me who is suggesting a blanket rule!

Latest posts

Back