Feed hole. To cover or not?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Um.........................................................................

Don't the bees torn up and thrown out like they went through a jumbo jet?

They must get cold in the winter:xmas-smiley-010:

I've fitted all of my hives with high powered industrial extractor fans

There are several tractor fans on the forum but I dont know of any who have gone off them

I normally cover the feed hole on the crown board to stop the bees coming through and building brace comb in the roof space as this is what I was taught to do.

Leave the feed hole open in the summer and harvest the brace comb. You can close it up after the autumn feeding.

The inability to understand the English language astounds me, especially from anyone claiming to be an informed practitioner on the subject

Really amazing that anyone can justify leaving holes open by calling them feed holes. It must be rather obvious to most that a feed hole is just that - for feeding only. When not feeding a 'feed hole' is not needed. No feeding , no hole.

Should be simple enough for anyone who unerstands the English language. A door is closed when not in use, as is a window?

The books would assume that the user was a proficient reader and that 'they didn't need to state the bleedin' obvious' (those were sage words from my wife, who wrote instructional manuals/directions as a regular part of her life's vocation). They (the book authors) would doubtless be accused of being pedantic or patronising if they were to include such banalities. Such is life!

It might, of course, be included in a book for dummies, but I doubt it even then.

As an edited addition.

Porter bee escapes are usually propolised at an early stage if left in the crown board. They are for using that same 'crown board' as a 'clearer board', nothing more, and certainly have nothing to do with 'feeding' holes (so are these holes now clearing holes, I wonder? Shame Th8rne don't supply instructions for the use of. But, again, they are so much in general use that they might be called pedants or too patronising if suggesting how they were designed to work!

Last edited:
The inability to understand the English language astounds me, especially from anyone claiming to be an informed practitioner on the subject

Really amazing that anyone can justify leaving holes open by calling them feed holes. It must be rather obvious to most that a feed hole is just that - for feeding only. When not feeding a 'feed hole' is not needed. No feeding , no hole.

Should be simple enough for anyone who unerstands the English language. A door is closed when not in use, as is a window?

The books would assume that the user was a proficient reader and that 'they didn't need to state the bleedin' obvious' (those were sage words from my wife, who wrote instructional manuals/directions as a regular part of her life's vocation). They (the book authors) would doubtless be accused of being pedantic or patronising if they were to include such banalities. Such is life!

It might, of course, be included in a book for dummies, but I doubt it even then.

Calm down dear, you'll burst a blood vessel.

It really does astound me that someone claiming to be English and a master beekeeper cannot understand that if wanting bees to clean up brace comb, or indeed a wet frame, or anything in between, that the bees "feed" on the nectar on the aforementioned objects.

We are putting objects there to be cleaned, which the bees do by feeding. They gain access to these objects via a hole in the feeding board, commonly referred to as "feed holes".

Anyway, initial post has been reported as the usual unnecessary insulting and provocative post.

I might also add that there is no rule book for beekeeping. If someone wants to leave feed holes open, not use a crown board, use shallow frames in deep boxes, draw smiley faces on their hives, they are perfectly entitled to do so. The bees do not care. Most of the things we impose on our bees is for our benefit only.

To denigrate and ridicule someone who decides to leave the holes in crown boards commonly referred to as "feed holes", whether that be because of ignorance or out of choice, is out of order and I hope the moderators take note.

My point was simply this I cover mine up as that is what I was taught to do, (2 years experience). My bee buddy (with 10 years experience) does not.I am so pleased I asked but I will reprimand myself for being provocative. Anyway chaps, the sun is out and all is well in the world.

Thanks for all your replies now lets draw a line under it, kiss and make up!

Andy

No worries Andy - sun is out here too.

As you have seen, much of what is involved in beekeeping is opinion and choice. Your friend has been doing this for 10 years, so if he is happy with it - his bees, his opinion, his choice, no big deal. No rules have been broken, and most people do not make judgements about people based upon their beekeeping choices.

Or indeed mistakes, or lack of knowledge.

There are 3 types of boards
1 crown board no holes to be placed over the BB
2 feeder board 1 hole for placing feeder over
3 clearing boards has 1 or 2 holes depending on type to remove bees from supers
If you use clearing boards or feeder boards as crown boards then they should be as crown boards
nothing more or nothing less
If you use a board with holes in it and there is a honey flow on you will get brace come and honey and bees in the roof, what a mess

Just to add a little grist to the mill, :rolleyes:

I leave them open in the summer usually with a spare super and frames on top, if the bees run out of space they will venture into the upper super rather than build brace comb. If no super over the board and they do start building comb in the roof space they need more room. If it's too draughty for them they will propolise the roof vents.

Where did I learn this from, none other than the National Bee Inspector, Ok the title doesn't make him a good beekeeper but I believe his commercial track record means he must know a bit about bees. :)

Interesting! Thanks for passing that on.

Opinions. Choices. :)

Non standard,

I can see what your National bee inspector is suggesting, but might the extra super be better fitted under the crownboard and avoid the roof ventilators being propolised? They certainly do that, as I experienced it in my early seasons, which can, in turn, lead to damp and mould in the roof space). Not the sort of advice to be passed on to a lot of new beeks.

My main point being that if he either wants to be a lazy beekeeper or just does not have any idea of the space required for storage before the next inspection (the only real advantages) there is no getting away from the heating of that extra super - potentially a big problem this summer.

Further,what he might refer to as summer (not seen much of summer weather yet) and it is counter to the vast array of beekeeping books over a very long period. Every one of those refers to the crownboard as the upper limit of the bees' access. Full stop.

It is plain common sense to avoid comb in the roofspace, so frankly I view this sort of gimmick as an excuse for not attending to the needs of the colony. Might just as well add two supers and be done with it.

The next question that seems obvious from this and follows any line of common sense is why doesn't he avoid the probability of getting roof vents propolised by adding a real crownboard or one with with gauze fitted (so the bees propolise that - because they will)?

But overall, you are still, by admitting the vents will and/or do get propolised by the bees, still means that gaping holes are not the order of the day.

Back to thread title. Feed holes are not ventilation holes, I never seen a book which refers to feed holes as 'ventilation holes'. And to be honest, I don't think I have ever seen a book referring to any other gapong hole in the crownboard for ventilation, either.

Lets get real here, whatever you do, if the bees can put it right, they will. They will tell you it was wrong by their actions. But only if the beek actually watches, observes and understands their (the bees) actions. Otherwise you might just as well do the proverbial in the direction opposite to that of the wind.

Non standard,

I can see what your National bee inspector is suggesting, but might the extra super be better fitted under the crownboard and avoid the roof ventilators being propolised? They certainly do that, as I experienced it in my early seasons, which can, in turn, lead to damp and mould in the roof space). Not the sort of advice to be passed on to a lot of new beeks.

My main point being that if he either wants to be a lazy beekeeper or just does not have any idea of the space required for storage before the next inspection (the only real advantages) there is no getting away from the heating of that extra super - potentially a big problem this summer.

Further,what he might refer to as summer (not seen much of summer weather yet) and it is counter to the vast array of beekeeping books over a very long period. Every one of those refers to the crownboard as the upper limit of the bees' access. Full stop.

It is plain common sense to avoid comb in the roofspace, so frankly I view this sort of gimmick as an excuse for not attending to the needs of the colony. Might just as well add two supers and be done with it.

The next question that seems obvious from this and follows any line of common sense is why doesn't he avoid the probability of getting roof vents propolised by adding a real crownboard or one with with gauze fitted (so the bees propolise that - because they will)?

But overall, you are still, by admitting the vents will and/or do get propolised by the bees, still means that gaping holes are not the order of the day.

Back to thread title. Feed holes are not ventilation holes, I never seen a book which refers to feed holes as 'ventilation holes'. And to be honest, I don't think I have ever seen a book referring to any other gapong hole in the crownboard for ventilation, either.

Lets get real here, whatever you do, if the bees can put it right, they will. They will tell you it was wrong by their actions. But only if the beek actually watches, observes and understands their (the bees) actions. Otherwise you might just as well do the proverbial in the direction opposite to that of the wind.
:iagree: SORTED

As opposed to the opinion of the national bee inspector.

I personally agree that the crown board should be closed unless you have a specific (short term) purpose, but if some people want to leave them open because the NBI has suggested it - their bees, their choice.

The bees natural instinct is not always what is best for them, as evidenced by the post about bees making an entrance hole in the top of a box, and thereby letting rain straight into the hive. But that is another matter.

Opinions. Choices.

I personally agree that the crown board should be closed

Utterley amazing. At this rate of back-pedalling it will soon be suggested that it was me who was the one who was insisting on leaving gaping holes in crownboards.

as evidenced by the post about bees making an entrance hole in the top of a box, and thereby letting rain straight into the hive. But that is another matter.

Which post might that be? Obviously not a recent one or I would likely have remembered it. Perhaps you can give a recent link?

Or was it you at fault, once more, for not reading the posts properly or you are trying to baffle brains with b*llsh*t? Not this thread shirley?

http://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18997

I think you are 'clutching at straws' and also gradually moving your goal posts to a much more sensible position. Easily understandable, having looking back at your past posts.

I add the last sentences because of your decidedly argumentative stance previously, so people can back-track for themselves and judge, if they are actually that interested.

He'll be mentioning matchsticks next!
I have feeder boards (with holes in various places depending on type of feeder) Clearer boards (with holes in) And crown boards with no holes at all in for when I'm not either clearing supers or feeding. I have OMF so no need for top ventilation.

What I have found useful is to use four bits of 2 by 4 on in each corner of the roof this I find in my own opinion give plenty of ventilation.

Since matchstick have been sent to the BBKA's Greatest Book on Beekeepering Myths my suggestion is to thumbtack a couple of bits of best quality mesh or perforated Zinc ( can you still buy it?) over any holes in the board you put on top of the last top box.
Bees will fill it or not as they wish.

Forgot to fix a hole covering properly on a WBC... what an incredible nest they built in the roof... bee escapes or not !!!! ( Pre ownership of afordable digi camera so don't have a pic to download)
GOOD LUCK !

Latest posts

Back