Farmhouse Trapout

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Buzz

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I thought folks might be interested in a trap out I am doing. The bees are in the cavity and maybe the floor of a farmhouse and they need to go as the have stung two people already.
I have offered to trap them out rather than kill the bees I don't expect to get the queen but will bleed the workers off until the colony is reduced and dies out I will then fill the hole they are using.
I expect this to be a long job and I will take the workers and unite them with one of my hives.
View attachment VID_20210715_111053.mp4

I have formed a seal as close to the hole as possible ready to fix a baseboard to mount the trap out kit onIMG_20210715_112859.jpg

The bees can know exit through the funnel and will fly back to the original entrance that they can still see but will not be able to enter. I have mounted the box with the entrance next to the old entrance with a frame of brood and lots of empty frames and hopefully the bees will have no choice but to go in the box.
View attachment VID_20210715_120337.mp4

I did a successful one of these earlier in the year which took about 6 weeks. I started it at the end of April because at that time there was little stores. It will take longer at the moment because they will have plenty of stores.

I did a successful one of these earlier in the year which took about 6 weeks. I started it at the end of April because at that time there was little stores. It will take longer at the moment because they will have plenty of stores.
I am planning on swapping the boxes out taking some bees away on Monday they have drawn out 5 frames is this what you did?

I am planning on swapping the boxes out taking some bees away on Monday they have drawn out 5 frames is this what you did?
Not with this one, I gave mine a frame of brood which kept them very calm and they produced a queen and are now a very strong full colony.
On a previous one which took about 3 months because of the amount of stores they had I still gave them a frame of eggs but when the queen was laying I took frames of brood away to strengthen other nucs.

Latest posts

Back