Extracting honey on top of other honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonforeman

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi
I extracted my OSR honey last weekend. I ended up with 1/2 a bucket. I have about 10 more frames worth that are now ready that failed the shake test last week and this will be all the OSR done for this year.

Can I extract on top of the 1/2 bucket from last week to save on buckets and keep it all together or do I need to put in different. It is all going to be kept for a few weeks and them hopefully creamed

And how long does OSR honey take to set ??!

It depends on what other nectar is mixed in with it..i have had OSR set after one week and over three weeks on other occasions..i found that the buckets that took the longest to set made the better soft set honey than the ones that set quickly..
Regarding the OP i like to keep each extracted batch separate but it will not hurt anything if you top your half filled bucket up with more OSR honey..it will all need warming back up at some point and mixing so the two batches will end up mixed together anyway..

If they are different densities they may split.
E

It depends on what other nectar is mixed in with it..i have had OSR set after one week and over three weeks on other occasions..i found that the buckets that took the longest to set made the better soft set honey than the ones that set quickly..
Regarding the OP i like to keep each extracted batch separate but it will not hurt anything if you top your half filled bucket up with more OSR honey..it will all need warming back up at some point and mixing so the two batches will end up mixed together anyway..

Thanks for that Millet, its what I suspected but I have no experience of OSR honey. Its all sheep and cattle here.

That is a bonus imo ..two type of honey in one jar it would be even better if we could get three..

anybody ever try this?

I wonder what Heather, Summer and OSR would look like in a 1lb jar together. Would they separate into layers?

When it does split the bit where the two honey's join goes sort of weird and cloudy and looks mouldy. It isn't at all but it becomes difficult to sell. You have to explain to everyone what the problem is! I guess if you part filled jars with different honey's on purpose it might work!
E

Latest posts

Back