How can I deal with this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fmp! £18/kg for bakers honey, well done!

Must emphasise that this is not foul fermented, but a mild almost-fine fermentation, plus heated cappings honey or leftovers without a home.

Have a bucket of real rank fermented from a spring TBH cut-out. Bees one end, honey the other. Aim to have a go at honey vinegar.

Yes. I turned the jars upside down and warmed them for a couple of days
But I learned my lesson and now warm them unlabelled in a water bath.
Hi, I assume you do this with the jar lids on. I have quite a few jars (unlabelled) left which now starting to crystallise. I guess you immerse them in warm water up to the honey line and check regularly until the consistency is liquid enough. How long before the honey warmed like this starts crystallising again? Thanks

Hi, I assume you do this with the jar lids on. I have quite a few jars (unlabelled) left which now starting to crystallise. I guess you immerse them in warm water up to the honey line and check regularly until the consistency is liquid enough. How long before the honey warmed like this starts crystallising again? Thanks
Yes lids on!!!!…….As to how long it takes to set again. Depends on the honey they’ll all vary, also depends on the conditions you store in. Keep it in a warm house or room it’ll take longer than say the cold garage.

Last edited:
Ian is spot on.
Last years summer honey was largely rosebay and bramble. It started getting cloudy in the jars within weeks of bottling. Looking at it today which is 5 months later it’s still crystal clear

Keep it in a warm house or room it’ll take longer than say the cold garage.
Not strictly correct. Honey crystallises most easily around 14⁰C, so keeping it at room temperature is more likely to promote crystallisation than in a cold outhouse. If you have the room, a freezer works well.

Not strictly correct. Honey crystallises most easily around 14⁰C, so keeping it at room temperature is more likely to promote crystallisation than in a cold outhouse. If you have the room, a freezer works well.
Yes many of us have been keeping honey in the freezer for decades. I normally reserve freezer space for comb though as honey can be bottled as required. I’m not sure of the temperature in your house but over 40years of storing honey, mine sets faster in the garage than it does in the house😂

Yes many of us have been keeping honey in the freezer for decades. I normally reserve freezer space for comb though as honey can be bottled as required. I’m not sure of the temperature in your house but over 40years of storing honey, mine sets faster in the garage than it does in the house😂
Perhaps it is due to a relationship between the variation in temperature and the variation in humidity. In your garage, the variations of both parameters are more likely to be much greater, so that the stress of the yeasts in the honey matrix causes a faster hardening.

Perhaps it is due to a relationship between the variation in temperature and the variation in humidity. In your garage, the variations of both parameters are more likely to be much greater, so that the stress of the yeasts in the honey matrix causes a faster hardening.
In a sealed bucket/jar I doubt it makes any odds

It’s just warmer in the house, let’s not complicate things😂

Mines in the kitchen with the Rayburn going all winter. Seems to last for months if I’ve warmed it from a set bucket.

Just starting this thread again. Finished my last extraction of the year and my last 2 40lbs buckets have slightly higher moisture content. One is 20% and the other one 22%. The latter will be sold as baker's honey and not sure if I gamble and keep the 20% or not.

keep the 20% or not
I found that fermentation is likely between 19 and 20, but anything at 20 will definitely ferment. Dani's suggestion works; mix with a 16 or 17, but mix well. Warming cabinet with the bucket lid off can lower it a couple; de-humidifier works best.

Latest posts

Back