expired Oxalic acid

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astabada

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi everyone,
I was cleaning around when I found an old bottle of oxalic acid (6%), expired in 2011. What should I do with that? can I just empty it in the sink or should I take it to the tip?

Oxalic acid is not only a winter Varroa treatment. Before keeping bees, I did quite a lot of sailing and it was used to remove stains from sails, gelcoat and woodwork so if you are unsure about using it for beekeeping, I'd keep it for use as a stain remover. If using it for this purpose, you must treat it carefully because it is still an acid, albeit fairly weak.

CVB

At "6%", my guess is that this would be in syrup.

As such, because of formation of bee-toxic (brown) HMF, I wouldn't dream of using it anywhere near the bees.
And because of the syrup, I wouldn't be using it as a wood-cleaner, or whatever.

Disposal is the correct thing.
The correct means would depend on the quantity.

For a small quantity (like 100ml), I'd wash it down the drain without worrying - but with a few litres of water.
For a litre or more I'd be handing it over either at the local recycling yard or even try at a pharmacy (they get all sorts of stuff for safe disposal) ... :leaving:

Yes, it's the syrup one. And I have quite a lot, the bottle is almost full (I used it my first year, when I had only 1 hive!). I think Pharmacy is a good solution, thanks!

Back