Excess stores

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Double brood is handy to get rid of extra winter food.
First you add empty box under the the brood frames. When the lower box is half full brood, swap the brood boxes and at same time add first super.

When you swap, old stores will be in the centre of brood area. Bees will clean old stores.

It is better be super too. It does not help, if bees move the stores from one brood to another.
In summer move the sidemost frames in the middle of brood frames, if they have winter food. Bees clean them and eate pollen away.

If you have too much food frames in the brood box, take extra off. 2 full frames is proper. Return extra later to to feed artificial swarms or what ever.

Last edited:
I think what a few of the later posters in this thread may be missing is that the excess 'stores' in question contain largely, if not entirely, sugar syrup. And that as these stores are held on large frames (14x12), they don't really lend themselves to making nucs with - at least not initially.

I have sympathy for anyone in this situation as I have also have a fair number of frames like this - due to mild winters - but fortunately a spare freezer to put them in.
LJ

My nucs get food from nature in summer. To fill nucs with winter food frames is not good idea. As bad is feeding them "to encourage".

Latest posts

Back