European Foulbrood Suspected

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a job for the SBI, Guy. They'll go through a colony, estimate the infection and recommend a course of action.

The SBI didn’t say. He wasn’t sure it’s EFB. He said let’s wait for the results. So far I only got the results and standstill notice on Thu, nothing beyond that.

Would it be possible to develop a sticky on bee diseases and viruses? Perhaps include some photos and key symptoms. Some of the books I have don’t include enough detail. Obviously there is the internet, but reliability is variable.

It would be a very useful source for newbies.

Many thanks.

The trouble with photos is that they are no real substitute for looking.
The inspectorate run bee diseases days every year at various venues associated with local associations. They are very well worth attending. You get a proper hands on experience.
The NBU have lots of pictures on their website too

The inspectorate run bee diseases days every year at various venues associated with local associations. They are very well worth attending. You get a proper hands on experience.

Ask your BKA to request from the NBU a Bee Health Day; if pubs are open I'm sure by next summer the NBU could manage a BHD.

The NBU have lots of pictures on their website too

Remember attending a Bee Health Day does NOT make you the go to person for disease identification.
Your SBI is the only real authority as they get to see 100s of colonies a year and know what normal looks like.....

Last edited:
Remember attending a Bee Health Day does NOT make you the go to person for disease identification.
Your SBI is the only real authority as they get to see 100s of colonies a year and know what normal looks like.....

I do think it is our job as beekeepers to learn and thus know what normal looks like, even if we cannot identify a particular disease!

Over time I have been on two bee disease days, and found them really informative and enjoyable. Only on the second one were the inspectors allowed to bring actual infected material for us to look at, which was a excellent.
I believe it is my duty to attend as a responsible keeper. Even though I am registered on bee base the only time I have seen an inspector go through a hive is at such a day and that was informative too.

Back