Equipment shopping list to make mead

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I made wine many moons ago and was just wondering what equipment is needed as I might have a few things still in the atic

Same as for making any sort of wine. The only differences depend upon the quantity you fancy making. If you want to go commercial buy a rweady made distillery!!!

Just started two gallons today.

Mead is easier than making wine in my opinion, honey, fermenting bucket, two limes, demijons ( in my case 5L water bottles I use the mineral water for wine or mead ) air lock, yeast and time.

don't do what i did and pay over the odds for a plastic demijohn from brewers shop then find the same size container (with water) is a 1/4 the price in tescos!!!

don't do what i did and pay over the odds for a plastic demijohn from brewers shop then find the same size container (with water) is a 1/4 the price in tescos!!!
Good idea, I was shocked that wilks sell the glass one's for £7 a bit ott

PLASTIC demi-john? Nah, that just won't do. I want to sterilise stuff properly when I brew and that means HOT water. I know there'll be plenty of you who use them, but those nooks and crannies will harbour yeasts...

I use glass everytime, my latest batch has just been bottled. Going to try and make a still for the next lot.

A beekeeping and wine making buddy of mine has a similar attitude to me using the 5L water bottles floyd shakes his head and tuts when we talk wine I reassure him I only use them twice once for 2ndary fermentation and the 2nd when I rack the wine they are then recycled.

Personally I think the mineral water is the way to go when making wine and makes sense to use the bottles although it would be great if they produced some from dark plastic for the red wines that will save having to cover them with paper :D

A beekeeping and wine making buddy of mine has a similar attitude to me using the 5L water bottles floyd shakes his head and tuts when we talk wine I reassure him I only use them twice once for 2ndary fermentation and the 2nd when I rack the wine they are then recycled.

Personally I think the mineral water is the way to go when making wine and makes sense to use the bottles although it would be great if they produced some from dark plastic for the red wines that will save having to cover them with paper :D
:iagree: bought a 5 ltr bottle from Tes** today for £1.05 Welsh spring water
Question will that rubber bung fit the water bottle

the plastic 5litre bottles you buy from the homebrew centres have a rubber grommet in a hole drilled in the lid for the airlock

Redwood you have to drill a hole in the lid for the rubber bung 10mm if my memory serves me right.

bought an air lock and the small rubber bung drilled the hole made the mead (tonybloke's recipe) and it's started bubbling already, cool stuff, how long before it stops bubbling taking my kitchen is about 22 degrees

I use glass everytime, my latest batch has just been bottled. Going to try and make a still for the next lot.

don't do it, it takes out the flavour!! ;)
better to make alcohol, run it through a still, then add honey. (stills are now available in good homebrew shops )

bought an air lock and the small rubber bung drilled the hole made the mead (tonybloke's recipe) and it's started bubbling already, cool stuff, how long before it stops bubbling taking my kitchen is about 22 degrees

from what i've read, anywhere from 2 weeks to a few months. Mead is like bees - will do what it wants :D

one question - when fermentation has stopped does anyone add anything such as campden tablets, finings etc?, sorry this is my first time brewing mead.

Someone told be to leave it 2 weeks after bubbling has finished and it will clear ready for bottling, I think as with any wine making your equipment has to be sterile and this can be done with campden tablets.

Back