Entrance size for winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mymwood

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Due to a pervious issue with wasps I closed the full entrance of all three of my hives with timber to allow only a small entrance. I purchase some circular disc thins that go over a hole on this timber and can
be rotated to create a small entrance. It worked - wasps kept at bay and colonies all intact.

Now winter approached, is it best to fully open the entrance - for ventilation, perhaps?

And, as all three are on varroa floors, does the removable floor slide stay in over winter or is it removed. Or should it be opened slightly for ventilation?

Mart.

Ps. Can I please just say thanks. This site is hugely useful to a beginner. So many things come up that I don't recall being covered on my bee course and it's great to have somewhere to go and ask.

The small entrance should be fine for them. The trays were designed for inspecting mite drops with the intention they are removed at other times. Some people leave them in as a wind barrier, if you choose to do that, make sure you clean the debris off them periodically.

heat loss through the mesh is measurable even in still air and with small entrances.

.......so in winter, is that heat loss through the mesh a good or a bad thing and is it good or harmful in general, to leave the tray in?

.Heat loss is a bad thing. . The floor loses heat by radiation so even a patch of ally foil in the middle of the mesh under brood makes a difference.

Thanks @derekm . My partner is already concerned about the bees getting too hot and bothered with PIR insulation on a polyhive.....strange for a woman who is obsessed with places like Corfu. I will quietly get on with additional increments to keeping the hive warm......Damn....I've already said it ........no doubt someone will be on my tail soon.
:ROFLMAO:

The small entrance should be fine for them. The trays were designed for inspecting mite drops with the intention they are removed at other times. Some people leave them in as a wind barrier, if you choose to do that, make sure you clean the debris off them periodically.

Sorry to drag up an old thread...just curious why it’s important to clean the inspection tray if it’s remaining in over winter? Also...what about if you have solid floors...should these also be cleaned on occasion?

Sorry to drag up an old thread...just curious why it’s important to clean the inspection tray if it’s remaining in over winter? Also...what about if you have solid floors...should these also be cleaned on occasion?
Bees keep their solid floors remarkably clean themselves. If you have a mesh floor with an inspection tray in then the debris builds up and attracts all sorts; waxmoth, other insects, fungi and moulds.

Bees keep their solid floors remarkably clean themselves. If you have a mesh floor with an inspection tray in then the debris builds up and attracts all sorts; waxmoth, other insects, fungi and moulds.
They don't always keep a solid floor clean. A strong colony will tend to in my experience, but I've dug out almost inches of incredible gunk and worms from the surface of solid floors of some weaker colonies.

Most beekeepers here clean the floor in spring. But as soon as they are expanding they will clean the floor. If the colony is healthy. And all colonies should be healthy. So no need to do something they do themselves a couple of weeks later

I use underfloor entrances, leaving the entrance slot fully open year round .
I leave the inspection trays in over Winter and check regularly. The trays impart evidence of the state of the colonies . Chewed cappings , natural mite drop, where the cluster is and a rough number of frames covered .
you will soon tune in to making sense of what you’re looking at .
my inspection trays have close fitting drawers with a white plastic insert which can be exchanged and cleaned at leisure .

Most beekeepers here clean the floor in spring. But as soon as they are expanding they will clean the floor. If the colony is healthy. And all colonies should be healthy. So no need to do something they do themselves a couple of weeks later

Changing the solid floor gives valuable information. If I find a dead worker brood from floor, it tells that queen is ok. If I fing drone brood, it tells that open the frames and look what is going on there.

Latest posts

Back