Entrance closed!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Beesy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Visited a new beekeeper to apply OxA treatment to find that she had closed the metal thingamy to the entrance of her beehaus. (Closed them up for winter!)
She thought they'd get enough fresh air through the OMF.

They had been like that since October. So...... how long could they have survived in there? They have stores and candy. I have now opened it so I just hope the few still alive can get past the dead bodies. Don't know how many we're left but it didn't look good.

Visited a new beekeeper to apply OxA treatment to find that she had closed the metal thingamy to the entrance of her beehaus. (Closed them up for winter!)

They had been like that since October. So...... how long could they have survived in there? They have stores and candy. I have now opened it so I just hope the few still alive can get past the dead bodies. Don't know how many we're left but it didn't look good.

They could be very sort of water as they will not have collected any to dilute the stores or do beehauses' leak?, i would add an external water jar feeder at the entrance but dont know the beehaus' entrance but if it is downward like a Dartington then perhaps a frame feeder full of water ( or wet sponge reguallry changed)

they can recycle water but never seen bees locked in that long...though Chtis lucas on here recons bees sealed in a wall can survive quite a long time...months

Did you do the oxalic

Last edited:
my word what on earth was he/she thinking of :hairpull: obviously did not do a beekeeping coarse, I hope you put the new beekeeper straight

my word what on earth was he/she thinking of :hairpull: obviously did not do a beekeeping coarse, I hope you put the new beekeeper straight

well even if she/he had the 12hr ( over two days) omlet course, i doubt they explained that bees need access to water to dilute stores in winter, not that thousand of bees die over winter and the undertaker bees clear the hive on mild days

I hope the entrance is not like a dartington as i have seen those block if two many dead collect

Sorry, there is me thinking cleansing flights!

...the inside walls of the hive would have looked like one of the Long Kesh IRA cells by the Spring!

Can we lock her up for two months, can we please? I promise I'll give her water.

:(

Those poor bees!
People always ask..."how are the bees at this time of year?"
Closed up for winter I say...
They do think I lock them in. I explain and mumble about clusters, then I get the question do they hibernate!

That's the sort of thing I have beekeeping nightmares about :( Please let us know if they make it.

Last edited:

How sad, I bet she felt terrible when you explained her mistake?
Hope they make it okay and that she carries on keeping bees as she is sure to be very careful in future and will make a good beek one day
S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How sad, I bet she felt terrible when you explained her mistake?
Hope they make it okay and that she carries on keeping bees as she is sure to be very careful in future and will make a good beek one day
S

yes agreed, don't let her give up...we all make mistakes....i have a phrase that was said to me and stick in my mind , "what happened at shenley stays at shenley".....and you will never know what that means :rules: just lets says it was a mistake

ahh the Shenley nights eh................

oh and not a bad cricket team in those days....

Pete D

Presumbly the Canadians - and others - who store their colonies and hives in climate-controlled sheds stacked high shut them in too?

But in our variable climate - plain wrong :(

Presumbly the Canadians - and others - who store their colonies and hives in climate-controlled sheds stacked high shut them in too?

Shut into air-conned structures (barns, sheds), but not sealed in their individual hives. Apparently a level of mortality, but the bees are not forced to excrete within the hive.

Latest posts

Back