Entrance blocks on/off

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 hives and 4 nucs
My first year of beekeeping. Should I have entrance reducers on or off at this time of year? Does it matter that much?

hi slangers
you don't normally need entrance reducers on this time of year,only have them on if they are being pestered by wasps, and if the colony is nuc size just to let them increase there numbers so they can defend them selves easier,but if a full size hive they you can leave them off
hope this helps

Personal choice in my opinion. I never take the entrance blocks out. When they are busy I open it up to 100mm (maismore blocks) but no more so they can defend the hive. If it gets busy then they sometimes form a 'queue' but never noticed a problem. Open mesh floors so they don't struggle with cooling.
'Wild' colonies are happy with small openings. Just my way of doing it. If you do get an attempt of 'robbing' they are going to struggle to defend a fully open entrance I would say. Not aware of any 'rules'.:)

I have a entrance block in place until about early may, then full width entrance, when the flow, (ha) flow stops that's a laugh. I put the blocks back on bout end of July.

Re pestering by wasps - if the colony is small, close it down before they are pestered by wasps. Afterwards can be too late!

Back