Entrance block

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorparkbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Morning all, I’m nearly all ready for winter just one question regarding the entrance that is do you turn your entrance block upside down over winter so that if bees die they don’t block it internally?

Cheers Josh

I have mine "upside down" all year. Why give them the step?
E

Morning all, I’m nearly all ready for winter just one question regarding the entrance that is do you turn your entrance block upside down over winter so that if bees die they don’t block it internally?

Cheers Josh

No - it makes it harder for the bees to throw their dead out so they just lie in a bigger pile inside.
It's just another 'It's the way we've always done it' beekeeping myth

I have upside down entrances with OMFs yet hardly ever see a pile of dead bees on a floor since I changed over from solid floors 20 years ago. For some reason you don't get build up of debris of any sort on OMFs (or is it just my bees?) as they take it away and dump it outside somewhere.

Surely, 'upside down' depends on which way you consider is 'right way up'.Right way up to me is with the gap in the block at the bottom and I can't see any reason why I would want it up the other way. That would potentially make it awkward for the bees to remove detritus.

Last edited:
Surely, 'upside down' depends on which way you consider is 'right way up'.Right way up to me is with the gap in the block at the bottom and I can't see any reason why I would want it up the other way. That would potentially make it awkward for the bees to remove detritus.

Which is what I meant!!!!!
E

I agree.

i can see some dead bees stuck behind mouseguard in one colony

i usually snip the bottom of the curve of the mouseguard whole and make it level with the entrance block and where ive done that, there are dead bees on landing board

this colony i need to do the same for

i can see some dead bees stuck behind mouseguard in one colony

i usually snip the bottom of the curve of the mouseguard whole and make it level with the entrance block and where ive done that, there are dead bees on landing board

this colony i need to do the same for

No entrance block behind the mouse guard

?

i have entrance block set on the circa 1 inch gap (its one of those standard ones with a wide entrance or a narrow one)

and i pin the mouseguard to front of that

You take the entrance block right out then pin the mouseguard on over the entrance
That’s what is usually done

Treat yourself to an abelo entrance reducer, lots of options on one slider. Will need adapting for wooden national floor (cut a bit off the end).

20171019_085457-1000-768x576.jpg

Back