End of season Queen activity

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellabee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello hello,

Are we all well?

I haven't been near the hive for a few months now as I am getting on a programme for being allergic to bee stings, however my partner is taking care of the bees till I can return next May.

On recent inspection of the hive, we were expecting the bees to have been not very busy due to them re queening this year and fewer numbers.

Pete discovered they have been VERY busy of late, here is what he discovered in our hive:

| Super 1 |
QX
| Shallow brood |
|Deep brood |

We discovered our super nearly full, so we have given them some new drawn out frames to keep them happy.

Shallow brood FULL of honey - their stores I presume?
Deep brood, from what Pete could see on quick inspection mostly full of honey, he did not note any queen activity, but this was a quick visit.

At this time of year what should we be seeing? Any Queen activity?

Our bee buddy is helping us treat and shut down the hive soon for winter, any advice on keeping bees safe etc through winter?

Do you think they have enough stores?

Many thanks in advance :)

"I am getting on a programme for being allergic to bee stings"

I'd've thought it would be better to get on a programme for not being allergic to bee stings!!!!!

Hello drstitson,

You well? I am on the programme starts next week, should be bee proof next may! HURRAH. Yes I guess I would be on a programme for not being allergic! However which was they (fingers crossed) will cure me :) back to the bees. You had a good season?

A super and two brood chambers is more than enough in the way of stores.
Have you treated for varroa?

The queen should be laying although in a smaller amount now.

Hello Hebeegeebee,

Will be treating soon, when our bee buddy tells us to. The same time as her I guess. We brought 'Hive Clean' this year so will see what that is like. What do you use?

Ok glad they have enough stores :) won't need to feed them.

I guess my partner must have missed her laying as it was a quick unexpected inspection.

Thanks for your help.

Your plan for next spring should involve getting them off the brood-and-a-half that you are using. Get a cheap extra brood chamber in the Spring Convention trade hall scrum and add it in place of that shallow :)

if they've read the books, the queen will stop, or almost stop laying during mid-winter.

Hello DanBee,

We did hope to get the half brood off next spring, we do have an extra deep brood going spare... However we are very novice bee keepers! Any advice on how to do this would be GREAT :)

Many thanks

Will be treating soon, when our bee buddy tells us to. The same time as her I guess. We brought 'Hive Clean' this year so will see what that is like. What do you use?

I do use Hiveclean but would not rely on it for my main varroa treatment at this time of year.
Have you checked your mite drop count? I think you need to get on with varroa treatment asap.
Cazza

Hello Cazza,

Which is the best varroa treatment you can recommend please? Many thanks

Hello Hebeegeebee,

Ok glad they have enough stores :) won't need to feed them.

I guess my partner must have missed her laying as it was a quick unexpected inspection.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure how effective hiveclean is. Your bee buddy should have advised you what to do if you are relying on her. (Make that call!) Thymol based treatments (Apiguard or Apilife Var as examples) are best put on in August (2 months ago) after the honey comes off; they may still be reasonably effective now.

Hebeegeebee, we removed our super full of set honey (great) yesterday, and are treating with Apiguard now for a week. We will also OX acid in winter too. I guess in your first year you always miss things, next year we shall be over prepared :D

Bellabee . Have a look at Dave Cushmans site . There are full instructions for Apiguard use , the first tray needs to be on for two weeks , then the second tray for 4 weeks after that .

G

Hello george, Ya I think we will do the full treatment, no harm leaving it in there to do the course. Ah good ol' Dave Cushman ;)

Latest posts

Back