end of mating flights?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wondervet

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
quick question. If ex-virgin now laying does that mean she definitively won't be taking any more mating flights? I want to move them.

Ta v much in anticipation

quick question. If ex-virgin now laying does that mean she definitively won't be taking any more mating flights? I want to move them.

yes, that is the consensus and scientific view but a few older books says she can go later in her life cycle.....but lots going against that older veiw such as how she holds the drone semen and muscus plugs after mating etc

yes, that is the consensus and scientific view but

Take your brains to your hand!!!!- scientific...

From where do come dronelayers if queen may mate when needed

I cannot se any reason to refresh old products of imagination.

Last edited:
Take your brains to your hand!!!!- scientific...

From where do come dronelayers if queen may mate when needed

I cannot se any reason to refresh old products of imagination.

i think you hve misread what i am saying ,

the consensus and scientific views is that she will not go on any further mating flights.............but the older view was she could...............but that is not supported by any evidence.....and as you rightly ssay disporoved by "dronelayer"

That older veiws was proposed on this forum a few months ago....but is of course wrong

Last edited:
Yates & Yates - Beekeeping Study Notes, Pg 34 Line 6:

1st-3rd week (after hatching) Multiple mating flights...

However, I have always been told your Queen flies to mate only once - so I can see why the confusion...

i think you hve misread what i am saying ,

the consensus and scientific views is that she will not go

You wrote.....I cannot understand and this and I am able to read English language.
But your sentence makes no sense. Is mating flight some consencus?

Last edited:
Yates & Yates - Beekeeping Study Notes, Pg 34 Line 6:

1st-3rd week (after hatching) Multiple mating flights...

However, I have always been told your Queen flies to mate only once - so I can see why the confusion...

Nowadays internet is full of mating writings. 90% of those writings are cow cakes.
Better to look from article, is it some university writing or some story man's thing.
http://search.mywebsearch.com/myweb...od2iA1Og&n=77eda4b5&tpr=hpsb&ts=1341294229953

Artificial insemination is over 60 years old. But there are most of beekeepers which will never know what is "scientific truth".

Like worker queen. The basic fact was invented in Sheffield University about 15 years ago but leading "truth deliverers" cannot gice up their workers queen which kills a real queen. Shake it....

The most difficult task in beekeeping is how to make 1:1 syrup.

Nah! I reckon, on balance (that word again!), 3.2% oxalic acid solution is more difficult for more people than 1:1 sugar syrup.

I just wonder if the ones that can't get the one right are the same ones with the other one not right. (There will be quite a bundle who can't read that, as well!)

___

Last edited:
Nowadays internet is full of mating writings. 90% of those writings are cow cakes.
Better to look from article, is it some university writing or some story man's thing.
http://search.mywebsearch.com/myweb...od2iA1Og&n=77eda4b5&tpr=hpsb&ts=1341294229953

Artificial insemination is over 60 years old. But there are most of beekeepers which will never know what is "scientific truth".

Like worker queen. The basic fact was invented in Sheffield University about 15 years ago but leading "truth deliverers" cannot gice up their workers queen which kills a real queen. Shake it....

Mmmmmm, cow cakes. Does one take them with a little honey over the top;-) Sound lovely

The basic problem is there are too many words with shades of nuance in the English language, and MM was quite right in what he put.

I believe it is possible though not that common, as per Yates that the queens make more than one mating flight but,,,,,,,,,,, when stocked up she is then finished flying until she swarms. Or is up set by a clumsy beekeeper and takes off in fright.

PH

I would have thought that once the queen starts laying her ovaries become gorged with eggs and she becomes incapable of flight apart from swarming when the bees semi-starve her to reduce her ovaries and hence her body weight to let her fly.

I would have thought that once the queen starts laying her ovaries become gorged with eggs and she becomes incapable of flight apart from swarming when the bees semi-starve her to reduce her ovaries and hence her body weight to let her fly.

Full laying queen flies quite easily. It is not rare that when beekeepers set a queen into the hive, a laying queen rises to its wing and goes forever.

Be carefull!!!!

A 1 word answer will do:-

Correct.

I cannot see any reason to refresh old products of imagination.

Another one for the BBKA Greatest Book Of Beekeepering Myths ... then !

As a butcher, a cow cake would surely be a beef burger?

Dog needs a walk, I'll get me coat.

Baggy :)

Latest posts

Back