Empty frame or new foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WingCommander

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Yesterday whilst harvesting one of my frames collapsed in the extractor. I cut out what was usable and stripped the wire from the frame.

My Bee Buddy puts frames back in empty when he has cut out the foundation (in his case the honey had crystallised in the frames) and I wondered if this was a better plan or if I should re-assemble a new frame with foundation.

Thoughts?

empty frame or new foundation

strip the frame and clean off, put new foundation in...replace darkened comb as required...keep those bees clean!!

Is there an easy way to add new foundation without taking the whole frame apart?

I wasn't so much stripping old dark comb, more that the comb broke on extraction - it was actually a brand new super, first extraction...

In my eyes its fairly simple if you remove the bar holding the wire in place and clean the grooves on the inner of the sidebars you can slide a new piece of foundation in with no issues.

In my eyes its fairly simple if you remove the bar holding the wire in place and clean the grooves on the inner of the sidebars you can slide a new piece of foundation in with no issues.

:iagree:
even knocking out one of the bottom bars as well as the wedge only takes seconds - did some last night

:iagree:
even knocking out one of the bottom bars as well as the wedge only takes seconds - did some last night

Its only difficult if you have nailed the frame in an "improved" (different and wrong) manner.
There is a reason (replacing foundation) that the standard nailing pattern is used.

Yesterday whilst harvesting one of my frames collapsed in the extractor. I cut out what was usable and stripped the wire from the frame.

My Bee Buddy puts frames back in empty when he has cut out the foundation (in his case the honey had crystallised in the frames) and I wondered if this was a better plan or if I should re-assemble a new frame with foundation.

Thoughts?

The bees will build comb in an empty frame - All my frames are foundationless and I get lovely white white comb and they build it so quickly that you would not believe it. I have my frames wired with three horizontal wires to support the comb. There are those on here who would tell you that you are wasting the bee's resources (time and wax) but I don't think that it makes that much difference. If you go foundationless you are then able to sell cut comb which will give you a bigger return. Oh ... and it's just fascinating to see them build their own comb !!

I see there is a new form of English expressed in words of under 4 syllables.

Eek!

Thoughts?

If you have only got a couple of hives, why bother. They are cheap enough to put fresh ones on. If the combs are all black I compost the comb and burn or bin the frame, if the comb isn't too bad then I put it in my wax melter. Some people boil them up to re use. If you have several hives then this is okay, but two? Na!
Andy

Thoughts?
Kiss

If you replace them 'as is' you can produce cut comb. If you strip and put foundation in you can extract the honey.

Latest posts

Back