Employers Liability Insurance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris B

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I've always been exempt from the need for this. No longer - a young lad has asked to come for 2 weeks work experience next year, but I must have this insurance for the local authority to approve it.

Any recommendations anyone? And what do these things cost?
(And anyone in the Bee Farmers scheme?)

Many thanks

It might be worth checking the policy of any business insurance you might have.

Also, if you are going to pay him then you will need to register with HMRC as an employer and also separately register to submit you employee pay information on line as I don't think you have the option now to submit paper returns.

All a complete pain in the....

If the term young lad implies somebody from a school on works experience (unless things have changed) you absolutely must not pay them as it invalidates the educational insurance that they will be covered by. However I think you will still need your own insurance.

Chris are you not a member of the bee farmers. Im sure that in your membership you get the first £1000 free

As in the first £1000 that you are paying some one any thing over that their an additional charge

have a word with the NFU insurance, they're pretty good.

Yes it's a schools work experience so I won't pay him so no worries there. Having checked it out further I need this insurance anyway now as my wife is also going on the payroll and we are a limited company so no family member exemption. It's been a useful learning exercise.
Bee Farmers don't give this automatically but will broker a competitive scheme apparently. I'll try NFU too as I have other insrance there.
Thanks All.

Bee Farmers don't give this automatically but will broker a competitive scheme apparently. I'll try NFU too as I have other insrance there.
Thanks All.

Chris - check with the treasurer (Doug) as he organises this and knows the detail inside out, but I understood that as of this year all members had employer's liability cover for the first £1,000 of wages or payment in kind included with the normal Bee Farmers membership fee. Thereafter, £15 per £1,000 of wages to increase cover.

Thanks Dan,
I'll call him. That sounds like it's probably good value. I should read the literature more thoroughly!

Latest posts

Back