Emergency Queen Cells. Eggs or larvae?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Thinking earlier about a conversation with @enrico.
I was always taught to put in test frames with young larvae rather than eggs, and if raising a queen from one to remove the first capped emergency cells as they were made on older less well nourished larvae.
Now I read this
https://www.theapiarist.org/the-bees-know-best/Thoughts?

I was always taught to put in test frames with young larvae rather than eggs, and if raising a queen from one to remove the first capped emergency cells as they were made on older less well nourished larvae.

Thoughts?

Emergency queens are started from larvae. You can see it yourself. Very easy.

When laying queens were inspected, all queens originated from 3 days old larva

When the first queen emerges, it kills other pupae.

What is common to emergency cells, it is that emerged cells do not have spare royal jelly at the bottom of cells.

The Apiarist writing is full of face news.
Someone has just wrote so.

Bees know best.... shame on beekeeper then...

Research 1984
According this under 1% out of emergency cells were started from eggs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220605-115041_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220605-115041_Chrome.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20220605-115018_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220605-115018_Chrome.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 7

This relates to the Bees know best article and is more up to date, it may give you a better insight into what the bees are doing.
On numerous occasions I have only used eggs, when starting nucs from scratch, using the Hopkins method of queen rearing. Also used eggs for a test frame.

Of course the bees will draw QCs from eggs if that’s all they have but if they have young larvae they will use those too. Now left to their own devices will they then tear down the older cells. Can they tell the quality of the developing queen inside?

I guess they are only eggs for three days max. So a three day old egg is a young larvae on the fourth day! 😆

In that video David Tarpy says they tear the old worker larvae down, so you will see a thinning of 50%

In what circumtancies?. Why they do that? Bees eate worker larvae, if they have lack of pollen. When I feed with pollen patty, no larvae is missing.

50% missing larvae is nornal, if bees cannot go to forage pollen.

As the research says, young larvae are most, when bees start emercency cells. You can try it with Miller system.

But when first virgins emerge, they have been oldest larvae 3 days old.

All larvae are fed with royal jelly first 3 days.

Now I read this
https://www.theapiarist.org/the-bees-know-best/Thoughts?
There is also research around showing queens resulting from emergency cells are smaller/lighter….

In what circumtancies?. Why they do that? Bees eate worker larvae, if they have lack of pollen. When I feed with pollen patty, no larvae is missing.

50% missing larvae is nornal, if bees cannot go to forage pollen.
Thinning of queen cells, tearing down cells with larvae that was too old.

Whether the queens are big or small, the research shows the ovarioles are the same.
Not sure about that, there was a difference in performance in the resulting queens and even higher levels of superseded queens that Autumn….if I have time I’ll try and dig it out.

Whether the queens are big or small, the research shows the ovarioles are the same.

If you want, you can use emergency queens in your hives. Sometimes they look more like worker bee.

The tesearch says, that most UK beekeepers do not mind, do they get honey or not fron their hives.

Last edited:

You did not read the point, that semen sac is smaller in emercency cells.

Yeah... I know much beekeepers which do not mind to select their queens. They use what ever bugs. Swarming queens are favorite.

Latest posts

Back