Emergency Queen Cells. Eggs or larvae?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure about that, there was a difference in performance in the resulting queens and even higher levels of superseded queens that Autumn….if I have time I’ll try and dig it out.

I did some hunting about this a few weeks back and if I recall correctly posted a quote from some research (with a link to the original I think) suggesting that the age of the comb may be a/the significant factor in the development of emergency queens, presumably because the bees find it more difficult to remodel old comb containing material from lots of pupa cases into the best possible queen cell, whereas altering relatively new comb is much easier.

James

Yes I’ve seen something similar but it was not the research I was referring to. I think the piece you found speculated that much of the royal jelly was used to float the larvae out the cell and was unavailable for consumption?

Yes I’ve seen something similar but it was not the research I was referring to. I think the piece you found speculated that much of the royal jelly was used to float the larvae out the cell and was unavailable for consumption?

That certainly rings a bell so I must have read it somewhere. I've no idea if it was the same one or not though.

James

Oh dear... never seen that or not even thincked it.

Here’s another showing difference’s in queens depending on cell typehttps://www.researchgate.net/publication/348128181_Effects_of_rearing_method_on_some_morphological_and_reproductive_organ_characteristics_of_queen_honey_bees_Apis_mellifera_L

Here’s another showing difference’s in queens depending on cell typehttps://www.researchgate.net/publication/348128181_Effects_of_rearing_method_on_some_morphological_and_reproductive_organ_characteristics_of_queen_honey_bees_Apis_mellifera_L

I did not understood the meaning of the research. Why 3 days old larvae were not in comparision.

1 day old larva is an ordinary crafting age.

As another research told, the 3 days old larvae will emerge first and those will be queens in hives.

Latest posts

Back