Electrict heating of nucs. Huge results

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
I have founded several nucs this spring and summer. Brooding results are tremendous with warming.

A week ago I made last 5 frame nuc. Day temps dropped from 22 C to 15-17C.
The nuc occupyed first 5 frames, but in cold weather next day 2 frames.

I added 6W heater on bottom, and after one week the nuc has 4 full frame of brood and eggs.

Now I must give the whole langstroth box. There is any more combs to lay. I bet that I have the whole box full of brood after a week. I see then, should I add more emerging brood frame or two.

Then appears a problem: There is not enough foragers to get pollen.... Add pollen frames of pollen patty.

4 weeks after operation start I have double box hive. Then we are at the end of July.

In the whole box I use 15 W heater.

Last edited:
Good results, was this using wood or poly nucs

Compare mesh floor nuc ventilation with 5 frames.

40 x 15 cm open mesh

My entrance 2 x 2 cm.

Floor open does not help build up of the nuc. Difference in opening 15 fold.

I have founded several nucs this spring and summer. Brooding results are tremendous with warming.

A week ago I made last 5 frame nuc. Day temps dropped from 22 C to 15-17C.
The nuc occupyed first 5 frames, but in cold weather next day 2 frames.

I added 6W heater on bottom, and after one week the nuc has 4 full frame of brood and eggs.

Now I must give the whole langstroth box. There is any more combs to lay. I bet that I have the whole box full of brood after a week. I see then, should I add more emerging brood frame or two.

Then appears a problem: There is not enough foragers to get pollen.... Add pollen frames of pollen patty.

4 weeks after operation start I have double box hive. Then we are at the end of July.

In the whole box I use 15 W heater.

Everyone shouts about Open Mesh Floors being the best thing since sliced bread.
We all have our opinions but I never have open mesh floors over winter I close them up until spring.
Spring build up of the hive is quite noticeable and I remove the bottom boards the start of summer.
They don't have OMF's in the wild.

Everyone shouts about Open Mesh Floors being the best thing since sliced bread.
We all have our opinions but I never have open mesh floors over winter I close them up until spring.
Spring build up of the hive is quite noticeable and I remove the bottom boards the start of summer.
They don't have OMF's in the wild.

+1

Today I have here 16C and some kind of storm.
That wind blows the hive cool even via 2x2 cm hole.

Now that 5 frame nuc is in 10 frame box. I look later, should I add more emerging brood.

Rape starts blooming here after a week. Perhaps that nuc gets 15 kg honey.

When I give young bees, bees in foraging age can go to flowers.

Last edited:
Where do you get your power supply from to heat the hives if they are not close to home.

I have 2 homes. One in Helsinki and another 150 km from Helsinki in rural village. I am just moving village home hives to outer pastures.

............Floor open does not help build up of the nuc. Difference in opening 15 fold.

Very true, but some always know better.

Have never noticed a difference between mesh and solid floors only I have to clean solid ones.
All my hives are no more than 2-3 inches off the ground though so maybe that's why...

Have never noticed a difference between mesh and solid floors ...

That is strange because I regulate ventilation with entrance reducer. And size of entrance has a big meaning.

However, now it was question about electtict hearing. IT would be odd if I put a heat cable on the mesh. The whole floor board is warm with heater.

Interesting discussion. Finman do you switch off the heat during warm weather? Either by thermostat or manually?

Interesting discussion. Finman do you switch off the heat during warm weather? Either by thermostat or manually?

I follow the number of ventilating bees on entrance. I have kept the heat on all the time.

This is first year that I have kept heating in June. Hives have not run too hot.
Biggest are 5 boxes.

I suppose 6W is negligible compared to direct sunlight!

Would these be heat mats that your using?

Cheers, will look them up

Latest posts

Back