Eke - building and using

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I’ve bought a cedar eke and it came with galvanised nails - do I need to drill the holes first, or is nailing it ok? Or could I use wood glue instead…or maybe the bees wouldn’t like that?

I’ve bought it to use with fondant, so do I put it on now ready, or just add it when/if I need to feed?

I’ve also got a miller feeder on one colony (the weather has been too bad to want to open up the hive), so presumably that needs to come off…or does an extra layer of poly help with insulation?

Thank you 😊

Basically whatever works.

I use wood glue and they're fine with it, just make sure it's exterior wood glue.

Nails should be fine if they're the small ones, big ones can split the wood. Screws work too but pre-drill.

I tend to use glue plus nails or screws.

If Miller feeder is poly, leave it on. Extra insulation is good.

I’ve bought a cedar eke and it came with galvanised nails - do I need to drill the holes first, or is nailing it ok? Or could I use wood glue instead…or maybe the bees wouldn’t like that?

I’ve bought it to use with fondant, so do I put it on now ready, or just add it when/if I need to feed?

I’ve also got a miller feeder on one colony (the weather has been too bad to want to open up the hive), so presumably that needs to come off…or does an extra layer of poly help with insulation?

Thank you 😊
You can never have too many ekes, especially as your apiary expands. But no need to buy them - buy lengths of timber from a DIY superstore and make them yourself - I have ekes of different heights and all made from softwood rather than cedar. I glue and screw.

Try this instead?
With a deep roof.
View attachment 34429
So I would add a layer of Kingspan to a poly hive, and then the fondant on top of the frames?

Also can you have too much insulation? I also have some wool packaging- like thick felt totally encased in plastic- but I wondered if that might cause condensation?

buy lengths of timber from a DIY superstore
Think I need to gain some confidence with power tools before I go much further
I found out quite a while ago that it was cheaper (and less work) to buy 'second quality' Apiguard ekes with Maisemore's at the sales than fiddle around buying in timber and making my own ekes, I made all my clearer boards that way, buying twelve Maisie's ekes and just getting an 8x4 sheet of 6mm ply (cut to size) at B&Q

I have a load of shallow ekes to make, I always drill pilot holes and use screws and glue. These ekes are only 15mm, so I will also glue in corner braces to make them a bit sturdier.

So I would add a layer of Kingspan to a poly hive, and then the fondant on top of the frames?

Also can you have too much insulation? I also have some wool packaging- like thick felt totally encased in plastic- but I wondered if that might cause condensation?
The fondant goes in a plastic bag over an open feeder hole.
If you have 50mm Kingspan then a poly roof you don’t need more insulation.
More insulation won’t cause condensation. Not enough will.

I found out quite a while ago that it was cheaper (and less work) to buy 'second quality' Apiguard ekes with Maisemore's at the sales than fiddle around buying in timber and making my own ekes, I made all my clearer boards that way, buying twelve Maisie's ekes and just getting an 8x4 sheet of 6mm ply (cut to size) at B&Q

What depth are they?

Thanks,
James

I tried making an eke once. It's easy for those who can.
I use a jig for making ekes and boxes - then no need for a set square.
Edit: apols for unintended pic of my sales boxes - can't get rid!
9216C12B-D38D-44C6-978C-060D3BF28AB0.jpeg

Attachments

• 4CF11B72-7B4F-4C18-A151-6A9491B1C122.jpeg
    4CF11B72-7B4F-4C18-A151-6A9491B1C122.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
Why use wood? It's cold and damp. These are for various nucs. 2" or 50mm deep. Glued (titebond3) and one long screw for strength. Usually 60mm or so.

PH

Attachments

• IMG_20210918_150538.jpg
    IMG_20210918_150538.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back