egg incubation troubles

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may get more yet. We hatch hen eggs all the time and they have never all hatched on the same day. They tend to spead out over 2-3 days before they have finished hatching. Well done new dad!!!

Brian

View attachment 3304

ok chicken people we have more chicken problems. lets talk grits

i normaly have only pol so these youngsters are new to me .

we normaly have oyster chips and granite chippings for the chickens to eat.
now grano chippings are normaly from 10mm down to dust so we have a full range of sizes for them, but would smaller chippings be better for chicks and or do you feed chicks grit anyway

HO and please no lectures on feeding oyster grit to chicks , i know already that your not supposed to, but what about the other sorts of grits

Last edited:
They need grit only if they are eating grain etc. If they are on chick crumb or mash then they won't need any. You can buy chick sized granite.
A good tip with your pol is to feed them their eggshells back. Rinse and oven bake then they are easy to crush up. Bit of a faff but you do get strong eggshells.

Last edited:
I don't give our chicks grit or shell until they reach a big enough size to go outside, just heat, water and chick crumbs.
When they are big enough to go out, they are kept free range on quite sandy soil, but I always put out bowls of grit and shell, that way they can take it if they need it.

Brian

I realise its a bit late this time Pete, I only add water at the end of incubation to aid chicks to break through the membrane. Just a thought.

Back