Early days

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my bees two weeks ago, collected them in a national/traveling box. Got them home and put them on a WBC base at the bottom of the garden, left them sealed in the box for an hour to settle.
Pealed off the tape to let them out, they started to venture out straight away, I notice one bee carrying another which I assume was dead or in poor health. I added a bucket feeder with 2Kilos of sugar to one and a half litres of water as a feed and then left them alone.
Checked later that evening and all semed well (to what little knowledge I have at the moment).

One week later time for the first inspection, got kitted up, smoker lit, all tools nearby. Here goes off with the feeder (still some liquid left in)lid nice and gently, found three brood frames some capped brood, some larvae in cells and uncapped honey(sugar solution in the top corners. Bees seem very gentle and calm.

Bee keeper I bought the nuc from said he also included two frames of honey from his supers. These he had placed at either ends of the brood box, with the brrod frames next to one of the honey frames i.e. frames 2,3 and 4(thought this a bit strange as always reaad start in the centre and work out).
Anyway the honey frame furthest from the brood had no honey left in it, but the other one still had honey left in it especially on one side as it was pushed right up against the brood box and the bees had built comb on it to make it the same length as the brood frames.

Found what looks to be the start of a superceeding cell on one of the brood frames, so cut it out and carried on inspecting. Got interrupted by sudden heavy down pour, so put hive back together and retreated back inside.

Concerned that i'd hadn't found the queen only a superceed cell. So waited a couple of hours until rain had passed and sunny out again. Did another inspection and found queen, all happy now :).

Two weeks after getting bees time for another insepction. Bucket feeder empty and lid stuck down, get it off gently and bees have built comb on top of the frames to store the sugar solution. Found the queen on the comb at the bottom of the frame that had honey on it, no more superceed cells so all looks OK. Plenty of capped brood now and the honey! in the top corners of the brood frames has now been sealed, plus drawn out foundation on both sides of one new brrod frame and one side of another, so all looks OK.

Transferd the frames into the brood box (keeping them in the centre this time) for my WBC hive and reassembled with out problem, left the old brood box(travel box) at the bottom of a ramp into the hive so and stray bees could find there way into the hive.
Checked again in the evening and all is looking good so far. :cheers2:

Very exciting!

Do you think it might be a queen cup instead of a supersedure cell? Queen cups look like the cup of an acorn hanging down (without the stalk). They are normal and you should expect them. nothing to worry about ( unless they contain a larva smiling down from a bed of white food)

Last edited:
I thought a queen cup and supersedure cell were the same thing? It was in the top part of the frame and did have a larva in the bottom (serveral days old by the looks of it).

Back