Dydd Gŵyl Dewi..... recipe please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
My gran made the most delicious Welsh Cakes...
recipe please for Dydd Gŵyl Dewi

Diolch

Have to admit that although Welsh was possibly the first language I heard... I have a better understanding of Swedish !

ddrwg gennym ddim help ond yn cael diwrnod da gyd yr un fath :Wales_flag:

ps blame google if its wrong

Flour, sugar, currents, baking powder, egg, mixed spice and butter all mixed together with a bit of cat fur and childrens hair, flattened with a roller, cut into splodges and roasted on a griddle till brown on both sides.
Your welcome :)
Dydd Gŵyl Dewi hapus.

Welsh Cake Recipe
Pice ar y Maen (Welsh Cakes) Ingredients:
(250g) 8oz self-raising flour
(75g) 3 oz butter
(1/4 tsp) pinch of salt
(75g) 3 oz currants
(75g) 3oz caster sugar
1 egg
little milk (to mix)
extra caster sugar (to sprinkle)
¼ tsp of spice (optional)

I use this recipe regularly. Roll the mixture out to between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick, cut out and bake on a bara planc ( bakestone)

Hapus Dydd Gŵyl Dewi

To all our Welsh beekeepers ... Anyone got a recipe for Leek soup or anything else using Leeks that would freeze/keep - I've got an allotment full of them ~ about the only real success this year ? Says a lot about the climate in Wales I think ... Darwinian evolution !

Hapus Dydd Gŵyl Dewi

To all our Welsh beekeepers ... Anyone got a recipe for Leek soup or anything else using Leeks that would freeze/keep - I've got an allotment full of them ~ about the only real success this year ? Says a lot about the climate in Wales I think ... Darwinian evolution !

Cawl - Fill a large saucepan - we used to use a prestige pressure cooker pan, but I now have a large stock pot with water and boil a piece of beef brisket - about a pound or two (on the bone preferably)with a handful of finely chopped onion until tender, set aside and (optional) leave the remaining liquid cool so you can skim the fat off the top.
Add diced carrots, swede and parsnip, when they're nearly cooked add a few large bits of potato, loads of leeks and the parsley, mix two tablespoons or so of plain flour with water into a thin paste and stir in (this won't really thicken it, but it does make a difference)
Serve in a 2 pint pudding basin (no poncy French soup bowls here please!:D) season with salt and white pepper accompanied with thich chunks of wholemeal bread and strong cheese - both can be put into the cawl so you get melty lumps of cheese on your (large) spoon :drool5:
You can eat some of the meat in a sandwich or cut the whole piece up and add to the cawl to warm up at the end

You can use lamb (which is O.K.) or chicken - which is foul! :biggrinjester:

My mother always cuts her surplus leeks up and freezes them for when there is a dearth, she also freezes her parsley (unchopped) both are essential ingredients for cawl, bash the frozen parsley a few times and there is no need to chop it up.

Dydd gwyl Dewi Hapus :Wales_flag:

Last edited:
Now that's my sort of food ... real cold day winter warmer - it's a must for next weekend. Got frozen parsley in the freezer as well but mine is in ice cubes ready chopped.

Thanks for that JBM

Pleasure - just completed a very rough passage from St Mawes bay to Plymouth, stuck on board with a bunch of Englishmen both Welsh crew members are away at the moment so no real 'Hwyl yr Wyl' for me - have to wait until next week for my cawl

Thought you jack tars lived a bit of rough passage.

Personally, I love the sea - except the top 5 meters.
Get very seasick - which is rather embarrassing for a diving instructor.

Dusty

Diving on the Eddystone Light.... swell at 35m !:puke:

Drink OXO.. tastes the same going down as it does coming up !

Thanks for all the loverly Welsh cake recipes folks... some on AGA right now
( NOT a full face Dusty!!:icon_204-2:)

Was given a sea sickness remedy a few yeas ago by an old salt - it's never failed:

Find a big old oak tree - at least a hundred years old...................................
And sit under it :D

Last edited:
Back