Dummy Boards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardBlack

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Quick question... Well, two...

- do you make your dummy board using a normal top bar? (But without side bars?).

- do you need a dummy board for super AND brood?

Dummy boards usually use a narrower top bar.

I don't use dummy boards in supers, but those who use brood and a half might.

Quick question... Well, two...

- do you make your dummy board using a normal top bar? (But without side bars?).

- do you need a dummy board for super AND brood?

Mine are flat and made of ply
If in doubt, have a look at the picture of Thornes plastic ones
None in super. My super frames are on 10 space castellations

I use Manley frames in supers, but keep a few SN4 frames as well.
When a super is just a bit tight for the last Manley, then an SN4 or two at one end means that the last frames can be easily taken out with no space wasted.

Last edited:
do you make your dummy board using a normal top bar? (But without side bars?).

I make dummy boards by using different thicknesses of plywood, with a piece of wood the same length and depth as a top bar, with the same width as the ply is thick, glued and nailed to the bar. A couple of 18mm and 9mm dummy boards will cope with most situations without leaving too much space on the outside in use.
No need for side bars, just cut the ply to the total width and depth (minus lug height) of a frame.

I make dummy boards by using different thicknesses of plywood, with a piece of wood the same length and depth as a top bar, with the same width as the ply is thick, glued and nailed to the bar. A couple of 18mm and 9mm dummy boards will cope with most situations without leaving too much space on the outside in use.
No need for side bars, just cut the ply to the total width and depth (minus lug height) of a frame.

+1

so much easier to make. 3 minutes with a jigsaw.

Dummy boards usually use a narrower top bar.

A dummy board with the same top bar as other frames seems to fit in well. Includes side bars too (might need to plain the edges slightly though). They're not properly made yet so can nail a bit of ply to finish that.

A dummy made without side bars leaves a lot of space. Is that bad for beespace though?

A dummy made without side bars leaves a lot of space. Is that bad for beespace though?

In the brood chamber, there's enough space between frames for the bees to work adjacent frames back to back.
On the inside of the dummy frame, as there's no brood on one side so they only need enough space for one layer of bees on the adjacent frame.
On the outside of the dummy frame, the bee space isn't too critical, although that's why I have different thickness dummys available, so as to not overdo the amount of space left.
In a natural hollow, there will nearly always be some spare or irregular space on the edge of the brood nest, they often just don't seem bothered about it there. on the outside of the dummy board it'll be quite cool compared to the warmth in the brood cluster, so that also makes them less inclined to build comb there.

Err, it would not be a super if it were a brood box, shirley?

Dummy boards often need to take up the slack with 11 hoffmans in a National, so width needs to allow proper bee space.

if used to isolate theccolony to part of the hive, dividers are much preferable.

No point at all for a dummy board in a super. Ie - totally pointless!

Latest posts

Back