Dry Grafting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 Hives
I am going to have my first attempt at grafting next week, I wondered if people use dry grafting or prime the plastic cells first with royal jelly?
I am not expecting a huge take up of the grafts on attempt one, but you have to start somewhere.
Thank you.

I am going to have my first attempt at grafting next week, I wondered if people use dry grafting or prime the plastic cells first with royal jelly?
I am not expecting a huge take up of the grafts on attempt one, but you have to start somewhere.
Thank you.
I dry graft but with wax cups.

Dry graft it is then, going to try the Chinese tool, thanks.
Get a few Chinese tools and test them before. Some of them can be quite stiff and get caught in the wax instead of sliding under the larvae. I tend to choose one and rub the part which scoops out larvae with a very fine wet&dry sand paper. I also graft from the oldest, darkest frame possible as you can see the larvae better and the tool slides better under the larvae.

That’s for asking the question considering grafting next week myself.

A lot of useful info on this thread for having a first go. I was going to cell punch, but I thought it worth trying grafting. If you don’t try you won’t learn. I have made a rack to hold the frame I am grafting from, and have some magnifying lenses to go over my reading specs. Watched lots of videos, what could possibly go wrong?

A lot of useful info on this thread for having a first go. I was going to cell punch, but I thought it worth trying grafting. If you don’t try you won’t learn. I have made a rack to hold the frame I am grafting from, and have some magnifying lenses to go over my reading specs. Watched lots of videos, what could possibly go wrong?
Well from some one who makes every
mistake that’s possible…… everything.

Chinese grafting tool and mouth for warmth/moisture. Old not new comb so the tip doesn't dig into the wax works for me.

Back