Grafting-First Attempt

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 Hives
I had my first attempt at grafting today, out of 20 cups I think I have about 6 larvae looking okay. The rest may be damaged or maybe turned over.
I am looking for 4 queens, so I stopped at that point, I will see how many get fed tomorrow, and most likely have a second go. I was definitely better at the end than the start.
I used a Chinese tool, I may try the spoon type of tool next, the Chinese tool obscured my view a bit, hence I damaged a few. I have read a lot about grafting and watched videos, I presume it’s just a case of practicing now, and selecting the right tool.

I used to use a fine art brush until my local art shop closed. The Chinese type aren’t bad they just fall apart. Try breaking down surround cell walls so you can get a better angle. I also like to get a little bend on the quill for a better scoop. I’ve got a few to go into nucs tomorrow and will check another lot grafted today.

Last edited:
Good news. I find what Ian is saying makes it a whole lot easier. Find a good patch of lava the right age Stanley knife the cell walls down and you will get your grafting tool under easier with the angle

Good luck with the first batch

I had my first attempt at grafting today, out of 20 cups I think I have about 6 larvae looking okay. The rest may be damaged or maybe turned over.
Checked my grafts this afternoon and 12 of the 20 are being drawn, so unless the bees will draw out damaged larvae the grafting must have gone better than I thought. I was quite surprised. See how many get finished.

Checked my grafts this afternoon and 12 of the 20 are being drawn, so unless the bees will draw out damaged larvae the grafting must have gone better than I thought. I was quite surprised. See how many get finished.
Excellent well done, once they’ve started drawing your pretty safe. I like to keep some feed on whilst there drawing the cells. Full frames of syrup are great for adding to nucs.

Excellent well done, once they’ve started drawing your pretty safe. I like to keep some feed on whilst there drawing the cells. Full frames of syrup are great for adding to nucs.
Thanks Ian, yes, I have just topped up their syrup, when prepping the starter/finisher I found out a good frame of pollen and put that right next to where the cell are.
A few years back I tried queen rearing with a Nicot frame/cage and didn’t get even one drawn, so this is a big improvement for me.

Look nice enough to me.
Thanks, I think I was looking at length from the end of the cell cup, rather than it’s base. I have certainly enjoyed planning and having a go at queen rearing, a lot of great help from this forum. The queen I used for the larvae has a very calm colony with a good number of bees and has supplied a super of honey so far. So I am looking forward to having these genetics in more colonies, fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back