Drones being evicted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenviewbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Did an AS on Wednesday - brood and stores in original hive on new site - flyers all returned to original site to new box.
Now the brood colony are evicting their drones - should I be worried?

Did an AS on Wednesday - brood and stores in original hive on new site - flyers all returned to original site to new box.
Now the brood colony are evicting their drones - should I be worried?

You have to realise that drones are an investment in the future (reproduction). When they can't afford that investment, they get rid of them. This is what they have done.
Where is the queen in all of this?

Have they got enough food?

I thought they did - this was quite a strong colony and had started drawing out and storing in a super - which I left with the brood part. There have been no flyers out of the brood part until a few have started coming out today. I an have a quick look tomorrow to check on stores status.

I thought they did - this was quite a strong colony and had started drawing out and storing in a super - which I left with the brood part. There have been no flyers out of the brood part until a few have started coming out today. I an have a quick look tomorrow to check on stores status.

If they only have foundation, the only food they have will be in their honey stomach. This could be a problem if the weather changes for the worse

If they only have foundation, the only food they have will be in their honey stomach. This could be a problem if the weather changes for the worse

The foundation is in the box with the foragers/flyers and the queen - they have been out and flying everyday and we have had good weather with plenty of forage (hawthorn out in abundance, sycamore coming on, chestnut as well as various cornish hedge flowering plants)
Weather is set to be ok tomorrow, then rain coming in Monday and Tuesday, then supposed to be better second half of the week.

There are other threads on the forum talking about feeding at the moment and some comments have been quite vociferous about how feeding at this time of the year can cause more problems than it theoretically helps.....

Me confused? Nahhh.......

Last edited:

They don't have foundation, they have the brood, plus a super, on a new stand, the q+ part on the original stand has the foundation.

It is not normal for q- bees to throw out drones.

Last edited:
Back