Drone Eviction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
One of my hives already chucking out the boys. Seems very early but there were a lot of drones in hive last week as I think new queen was late laying worker brood which now seems to be rectified. Is this normal at this time?

Yes. Being wrestled out of front by the workers and chucked. Looking through clear top board they are being chased and grabbed.

By the sounds of it there’s a new laying queen in the hive?…I see small mating nucs holding large numbers of drones when there is a virgin present, once she’s up and laying the drones are surplus to requirements and even a drain. They often disappear at this point.

By the sounds of it there’s a new laying queen in the hive?…I see small mating nucs holding large numbers of drones when there is a virgin present, once she’s up and laying the drones are surplus to requirements and even a drain. They often disappear at this point.
Yes. I see masses of drones in colonies re-queening but I've never seen them actually kicked out.

I think I am experiencing virgin queen initial drone laying situation then. Their stores were good last week but I have given them some thin syrup this morning as a boost. I actually picked up the new queen when she got back from a mating flight. It is a long hive, so no supers and she landed on the Perspex board next to my head when I was having a nosy about a month ago. I popped her in the entrance and saw her go straight up and across the frame tops and back down. Still drones in there this morning so they must have been getting rid of the surplus who were of no use. Always learning.

Back