Drone Foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROACHMAN

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
50+
Bought some super foundation mail order from my local supplier and they have sent me drone super foundation.

Is this as good as normal or have they made a mistake - Ive never used it before?

I can't see why it would matter if it is staying in the super. As long as the bees will store in it of course.

Bought some super foundation mail order from my local supplier and they have sent me drone super foundation.

Is this as good as normal or have they made a mistake - Ive never used it before?

Some people use drone super foundation as the bees need to make less wax to store the same amount of honey.

However if the queen ever gets into the super by mistake you end up with a mass of drones!!

Personally I stick to worker foundation and still get some laying workers adding a few eggs, especially in the super directly above the BB !!

However if the queen ever gets into the super by mistake you end up with a mass of drones!!

Got that t-shirt... But it's not a complete disaster; they only want so many and letting her lay drones prevents them messing up the worker comb, which means fewer places to hide QCs etc. The idea is that drone comb is easier to extract, as well as the wax point YB makes.

I have some of both (drone inherited) In my experience, worker foundation is used first. I suppose if you only have one type, they will not have a choice.

Cazza

Back