Drone Foundation in Supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UEAHoneyBeeMan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Hi All,
I've just purchase a "job lot" of hives and "stuff" and most of the foundation for the supers is Drone size.

Not ever used it before, obviously once drawn if a queen gets in there she's going to lay drones but other than that are there any other issues?
Should I just trash it and get new worker foundation?

Stewart

if in the supers and it isn't stale use it! The holes are bigger - so more in each hole! A chap in the village uses it for cut comb as he reckons that the larger holes make for better CC - BUT if it is stale they w on't like it I fear...

Another advantage of using drone foundation in supers is that the bees don't put pollen in drone size cells which I find is a big advantage especially when using standard size national brood boxes.Ainsie

Hi All,
I've just purchase a "job lot" of hives and "stuff" and most of the foundation for the supers is Drone size.

Not ever used it before, obviously once drawn if a queen gets in there she's going to lay drones but other than that are there any other issues?
Should I just trash it and get new worker foundation?

Stewart
At last year's National Honey Show the class 'Frame for Extraction' was easily won by a shallow frame using Drone foundation. It was a joy to behold!

Brilliant, thanks for those comments.
It's not horribly stale, I normally run a naked flame across older foundation and it brings it back to life enough for the bees to work it.

Brilliant, thanks for those comments.
It's not horribly stale, I normally run a naked flame across older foundation and it brings it back to life enough for the bees to work it.

Possibly safer than running naked with a flame :eek: We have a beekeeper in these parts who posed for an "interesting" mag (not seen it mind) draped over a hive. Ahem. Of course Norfolk is much more sensible... :)

Seriously though, I'm going over to drone in the supers this year.

Possibly safer than running naked with a flame :eek: We have a beekeeper in these parts who posed for an "interesting" mag (not seen it mind) draped over a hive. Ahem. Of course Norfolk is much more sensible... :)

Seriously though, I'm going over to drone in the supers this year.

I hope he remembered to keep his hive tool in his hand at all times and positioned his smoker in an appropriate place!

It will be an interesting experiment running drone and worker foundation in some supers and seeing what happens.

Norfolk, Sensible, Hmmmmmmmm.............

I bought some last year as i needed some foundation quickly and thats all that was in stock.
the bees drew it out really nicely and soon filled it. and as said earlier, i had no pollen stored in it!
I will certainly buy more. (of course, just be sure HM does not get up there :))

Latest posts

Back