drone foundation in super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have been told if you have drone brood foundation in super you do not need a queen excluder as queen only lays small patches of drone brood then goes back to brood box. has any one got experience of this..

I have been told if you have drone brood foundation in super you do not need a queen excluder as queen only lays small patches of drone brood then goes back to brood box. has any one got experience of this..

Who told you.

Bees do not like filling drone size cells in supers with honey. They seem to leave them until last.

dronecelsssuper.jpg

I have kept hives without excluder 50 years, and it does not go that way.

Leave away for example 1/3 from a foundation, and bees do into the hole drone cells. You do not need drone foundations.

I show to the hive drone brood places so, that I put into langstroth frame medoum foundation. I keep those frames in brood area two pieces. Otherwise bees do drone brood everywhere they can.

It never ceases to amaze me that there are still idiots around telling people to do stupid things. Do you really want as much as 25% drone brood in your colony? 25% using up honey with no useful input to your crop?

How many more generations will pass by with people believing them to be giving out good beekeeping advice? And likely passing on this carp to later generations.

Some on here would not countenance extracting honey from brooded frames.

That may well occur in natural colonies, but any honey in combs at the end of the year is for winter survival, not for the beekeeper.

I have used drone comb in shallows and have had a queen on the wrong side of the Q/E. That is a nuisance to me. I no longer take that risk.

Sure, the queen will not lay all drone brood - the colony is not that stupid as it would die. But this forum is about beekeeping - keeping bees for a honey crop. Think about it.

Do you really want as much as 25% drone brood in your colony? 25% using up honey with no useful input to your crop?

Unless, of course, your objective was to obtain drone brood from a particular queen. This brood could then be transferred to nurse colonies which have had all of their drone brood removed. They will look after those drones until needed (for II).
I know this is not the case in the scenario the OP describes. I'm just highlighting that there may be valid reasons for wanting a large amount of drone brood.

Last edited:
There may indeed B+ but in this instance, I feel safe in thinking this is idiotic advice to give to anyone let alone a beginner.

Yes, people do use drone foundation in supers but WITH queen excluders as they feel it makes less work for the bees.

HOWEVER if the queen does get up... well... be prepared for a right mess.

PH

The devil is aye in the detail. ;)

And then a good advice is covered all kind of rubbish advice layers. Some will fill the whole village with his splended drones, even if there are 100 other hives in the village.

Some on here would not countenance extracting honey from brooded frames.

That may well occur in natural colonies, but any honey in combs at the end of the year is for winter survival, not for the beekeeper.

RAB I couldn't reconcile this. Do you mind spelling it out? Do you mean "Some on here would not avoid extracting honey from brooded frames"? And by "brooded", "with brood in" or "ever had brood in"?

Last edited:
I have used drone comb in supers and the first super above the queen excluder always has drone brood in.
The bees will move eggs up into the frames through the excluder.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RAB I couldn't reconcile this. Do you mind spelling it out? Do you mean "Some on here would not avoid extracting honey from brooded frames"? And by "brooded", "with brood in" or "ever had brood in"?

Put an extra couple of line returns between the first couple of paras and the ladt 4 points. Perhaps I should have given (the last four) bullet points.

I chose my words carefully. Perhaps grammar and tense is not (one of) your strong point(s).

Also, please do not insert extra words into my texts. I would have included such words if they were meant to be there. Or are you are simply trying to change the meaning of my carefully scripted post?

Latest posts

Back