Drone Colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellifera397

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi everyone,
As you can see I am a new beekeeper. i visited 'The Ugly House' or ' Ty Hyll' the national honey bee centre for wales and the volunteer mentioned that they were going to get some drone colonies for their breeding program. Can anone explain what a drone colony is?

This is a total guess as I have never heard of one but I know you can buy drone foundation so I would imagine you can 'force' the queen to lay drone eggs ensuring drones from good stock queen to mate with virgins.....

Thanks but is it headed by a drone laying queen or a laying worker and if a drone laying queen how do they rear them?

a colony that is kept specifically to provide drones.

:iagree:

Drone cells are encouraged not culled... worker brood may be removed and placed in a weaker colony to boost it.. bees generally will make what they want or need from whatever foundation you give to them in the brood box.

Hi everyone,
As you can see I am a new beekeeper. i visited 'The Ugly House' or ' Ty Hyll' the national honey bee centre for wales and the volunteer mentioned that they were going to get some drone colonies for their breeding program. Can anone explain what a drone colony is?

:cool:possibly he was pulling your leg!

A strong colony supplied with either drone foundation or drawn drone comb to provide free flying drones or for insemination purposes.

The queen will be of a line that is superior and so her drones will enhance the breeding project. She is not normally a drone layer, as in although she is encouraged to lay lots of drone cells she is a fully functioning laying queen.

PH

Latest posts

Back