First inspection, loads stores and only capped drone cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK so another inspection. Turns out I'm not as blind as I thought. There are no eggs. Not one! Lots drones and some capped drone cells and developing larvae. Pics attached. Not sure whats going on, are they raising a queen? If so, what stops the workers starting to lay??
Laying workers.
Shake out the colony.

Laying workers.
Shake out the colony.
She only has one colony - they have nowhere to go ... needs a Plan B.

The colony is clearly doomed unless she can beg or buy a queen to try and get them back in check. A frame of eggs begged from somewhere would give them a chance to raise a queen although with laying worker already at it then it's not ideal and risking £40 on a queen that may not work.

I'd put out a swarm trap and hope for another colony to arrive (least expensive option). Is there anyone locally who would spare a frame of eggs ? With so little brood there may not be enough workers to re-establish the colony with a new queen installed.

Bit of a lost cause in many respects ...

Last edited:
OK so another inspection. Turns out I'm not as blind as I thought. There are no eggs. Not one! Lots drones and some capped drone cells and developing larvae. Pics attached. Not sure whats going on, are they raising a queen? If so, what stops the workers starting to lay??
There are not a lot of bees on those frames ... and whilst the drone cell pattern is pretty scattered and would, usually, indicate laying workers, I would expect to see some workers eggs (multiple eggs near the top of the cells - worker abdomens are not long enough to get to the bottom of the cell) and I can't see any eggs when zooming in to your photos.

With so few bees I'm still half thinking you have missed a swarm ... or two perhaps ?

There is also not a lot of stores on those frames - at present I'd like to see an arc of honey at the top of the frames and perhaps some pollen. It's got all the hallmarks of a weakened colony. Are there any dead bees on the floor or outside the hive ? Are there any stores elsewhere in the hive (outer frames/Super) ?

It's not looking good to me Sarah ... get yourself a swarm trap out - you only need a box of some sort with about 40 litres capacity and a small entrance - if you have a frame in your existing hive that has had brood on it but is not currently in use put that in your swarm trap - a drop of lemon grass oil if you have any will help.

Things happen in beekeeping - don't beat yourself up - positive thoughts and a fresh start beckons.

There are not a lot of bees on those frames ... and whilst the drone cell pattern is pretty scattered and would, usually, indicate laying workers, I would expect to see some workers eggs (multiple eggs near the top of the cells - worker abdomens are not long enough to get to the bottom of the cell) and I can't see any eggs when zooming in to your photos.

With so few bees I'm still half thinking you have missed a swarm ... or two perhaps ?

There is also not a lot of stores on those frames - at present I'd like to see an arc of honey at the top of the frames and perhaps some pollen. It's got all the hallmarks of a weakened colony. Are there any dead bees on the floor or outside the hive ? Are there any stores elsewhere in the hive (outer frames/Super) ?

It's not looking good to me Sarah ... get yourself a swarm trap out - you only need a box of some sort with about 40 litres capacity and a small entrance - if you have a frame in your existing hive that has had brood on it but is not currently in use put that in your swarm trap - a drop of lemon grass oil if you have any will help.

Things happen in beekeeping - don't beat yourself up - positive thoughts and a fresh start beckons.

I blew on the frames as it makes the bees move so that's why there looks so few bees, although deffo less than I expected. I always thought one should see eggs or even multiple with laying workers thats why I was a bit surprised. There are two frames and the back stuffed with capped honey and loads of pollen in the front few frames. I just dont want to "waste" them!! No piles of dead bees as far as I can see. Have a bait hive out, nasonov and lemongrass inside.

If the queen is becoming a drone layer (running out of sperm), the eggs are indistinguishable from worker eggs. Later, the larvae are bigger and the cells are extended (as in your earlier photos), but the adult drones are smaller - or so I've found.

OK, wee update. A lovely very experienced beekeeper came and looked through my hive with me. We found a sealed queen cell. He says enough workers to keep things viable. No sign of any eggs at all. The thing I don't understand is if there is no queen how can there be a queen cell??

Eggs are eggs for only 3 days. A queen cell takes 16 days for her to emerge. The queen usually goes when the cell is sealed on about day 8. The maths explains it

Eggs are eggs for only 3 days. A queen cell takes 16 days for her to emerge. The queen usually goes when the cell is sealed on about day 8. The maths explains it
Yes but if I have no queen, where did the egg come from?

Oh, sorry you mean she laid it then went? why are there no laying workers then?

Latest posts

Back