Drone Brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

La Folie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I completed my first inspections on 3 hives today. All had drone brood but one in particular had a lot. No adult drones visible yet. My first thought was that it is a bit early for a lot of drone brood, second thought, I wonder if the colony are preparing for an early swarm? The colony had a lot of capped stores, still had room and the queen has been very productive. Thoughts?

I completed my first inspections on 3 hives today. All had drone brood but one in particular had a lot. No adult drones visible yet. My first thought was that it is a bit early for a lot of drone brood, second thought, I wonder if the colony are preparing for an early swarm? The colony had a lot of capped stores, still had room and the queen has been very productive. Thoughts?
Or the queen is failing?

I inspected 12 colonies on Monday and Tuesday (not all my own). Overall very strong considering it is still March, with the brood nests spread across 5 to 9 frames. Every colony had drone brood and a couple had a few adult drones.

I inspected 12 colonies on Monday and Tuesday (not all my own). Overall very strong considering it is still March, with the brood nests spread across 5 to 9 frames. Every colony had drone brood and a couple had a few adult drones.
I inspected one hive today - sealed brood over 6 combs, capped stores and drone brood on one comb surface.
BIAB

if most of the drone brood is in worker cells perhaps as Dani suggests the queen may be failing. What do you call lot of drone brood and how big is the hive/brood nest?
I should have said, there were 7 good frames of BIAS, all with drone brood on them , up to a quarter of a BN brood frame in a couple. I had considered a failing queen and supercedure. Does supercedure happen in early season as well as autumn?

I should have said, there were 7 good frames of BIAS, all with drone brood on them , up to a quarter of a BN brood frame in a couple. I had considered a failing queen and supercedure. Does supercedure happen in early season as well as autumn?

7 frames of BIAS, with maybe 10-15% drone brood in total? What are you worried about. Sounds perfect!

Colonies can have a lot more drone brood than that if they aren't restricted with foundation. Any queens getting mated locally will be very glad of these drones. Drones are wonderful things, and to be welcomed. Watch for swarm cells soon though, this colony is clearly feeling fruity ....

Last edited:
Colonies can have a lot more drone brood than that
Indeed - last year I experimented with a foundationless frame - two vertical bamboo skewers + starter strip, so three 'panels'. It ended up being used with a swarm. They built two of the panels as worker and the third (furthest from the entrance) as drone, so ⅓ of the frame was drone. They didn't put drones anywhere else though.

Indeed - last year I experimented with a foundationless frame - two vertical bamboo skewers + starter strip, so three 'panels'. It ended up being used with a swarm. They built two of the panels as worker and the third (furthest from the entrance) as drone, so ⅓ of the frame was drone. They didn't put drones anywhere else though.

You reminded me of this nice article

Foundationless frames update - The Apiarist

I use Rose Hive boxes and most of my frames are foundationless (starter strip). The frames are 180mm deep, so halfway between a National deep and shallow. I find that the skewers, or any support, is unnecessary. In fact, as you can see from the photos in The Apiarist article, the bees avoid the skewers. You do have to handle the frames carefully until they attach the comb to the side bars/bottom bars, but afterwards they are indistinguishable from frames with foundation. I did once put a skewer through the bottom bar of an incomplete frame to support a comb that was so heavy with stores that it was in danger of breaking. The bees just cleared the comb from around the skewer.

Latest posts

Back