drone brood as varroa estimation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackbee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
0-1-0-1-2
Was talking to an SBI about using drone brood to check varroa levels. She was saying timing is important, and the pink eye stage (day 20 ish) is the right time to check.

So, is it possible to determine the 20 day stage; she reckoned it was possible from state of capping if you knew your stuff but she could have been having a newbee on!!

i'm all :bigear:

Doubt it.
They are very serious about health advice.

Doubt it.
They are very serious about health advice.

In which case one of the "old hands" with multiple hives and decades of experience will be along to explain how before long.

Was talking to an SBI about using drone brood to check varroa levels. She was saying timing is important, and the pink eye stage (day 20 ish) is the right time to check.

So, is it possible to determine the 20 day stage; she reckoned it was possible from state of capping if you knew your stuff but she could have been having a newbee on!!

i'm all :bigear:

Thanks for posting this question, Jackbee - I need to know, too.
I've removed the first lot as soon as they were capped, but it was a guess.

I've removed the first lot as soon as they were capped, but it was a guess

One clue might be in the question: Were they all capped at the same time?

Last edited:
You thunk almost correctly :)

Mistake was in not 'copying' the right bit before 'pasting'.

Correct bit inserted now.

When you see mites in drone brood over 10 pieces, you are in troubles. You need autumn treatment before bees start to rear winter bees.

When you see mites in drone brood over 10 pieces, you are in troubles. You need autumn treatment before bees start to rear winter bees.

yep, but if 20 days (pink-eye) is best time to check how do you tell when that is?

Mark the frame when you see it with open brood and count....

That is what I would have done but the OP was saying the SBI says you can tell from the cappings.

she reckoned it was possible from state of capping if you knew your stuff

I was hoping somebody would be along to enlighten us as to how it is done, if indeed it is possible.

Right. Another question for the lesser lights. Do you think that she may have laid worker brood fairly adjacent to this drone brood? Might that give a clue?

Right. Another question for the lesser lights. Do you think that she may have laid worker brood fairly adjacent to this drone brood? Might that give a clue?

That would help but it isn't what I would describe as telling by the state of capping. I am obviously barking up the wrong tree but "state of capping" suggested to me the physical condition of the drone capping itself.

I removed my drone brood at 18 or 19 days; the worker brood was capped slightly sooner.

Latest posts

Back