Drifting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a problem at one out apiary where the bees are spread out in a large square and we teach from the centre. However on one side the bees are 'having a go' at the landowner- not a good idea. We are monitoring them for a requeen-but not just one hive involved...
I suggested that we slowly move the bees from that edge over to the opposite side where they face open countryside. The apiary manger wont as she fears drifting, disease spread etc. The hives could be 4' apart- so what is the optimum space?- I just presumed over 3' rule would apply.

how about swaping places with a more docile hive with the aggressive one, in that way the forage bees will continue with there load deposits but to a more stable queen.

to me the whole desease robbing thing is a misnomer in that situation, just a manager being lazy to try some new ideas

This doesn't answer the question directly but in our branch apairy the hives have been moved into the the "Brother Adam" configuration. Blocks of 4 hives all together with each hive facing in a different direction. Takes up much less room.

Of more relavance was the move was done in one day. The bees sorted themsevles out.

The argument over disease was this is our branch apairy and we know we don't have anything unpleasant. If the foragers got muddled up it was no big deal.

Rooftops- if you are teaching and have bees coming from all directions- doesn't that give you a problem - rule 1- don't stand in front of hive entrance.

'Bump'

So is drifting a problem- how near can I put all facing one way??

Heather if you look at some of the hives in bee sheds the entrances all face the same way and are quite close.

Latest posts

Back