Double brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, Swarm, but I don't get it. We are talking a summer situation here. .

Actually it is a movement from winter to summer, and from summer to winter.

Movement from spring to summer is important because it had a big influence on swarm prevention.

BUT, in Finland most beekeepers and all professional use excluder and one or two brood boxes.

I use my own syetm because I get with that double yield per hive.
To keep 30 hives or 60 hives, it makes a big difference.

WHAT I SAY: be flexible with your self and do not hang your self with something "demaree" or with something else protocolla.

Beeno,
Stores frames can be removed and replaced with comb or foundation, put the stores below and the bees will shift it. Rotation of comb, rotation of chambers, keeps the bees busy.
As MasterBK has said, the brood will be in the top box in Spring.

When we compare to brood and half, douple brood is really flexible to do different things.

...But If you do not mind about excluder, you are free to do what ever, when the colony starts to expand.

You may use another douple to do those tricks. Half is not very good as brood box, but if frames have much pollen, brooding is only way the clean the combs.

Just now I have several kind of hives like

- "brood and half",
- half and half
- half
- 2 brood

It depends how the nuc or hive developed towards autumn.

In spring, if I find in frame store, that medium box has much pollen, I put it into brood area that bees eate pollen off. When box is full of larvae, I may be lifted up, where brood emerge and bees fill cells with honey.

Back