Doomed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Afternoon all. Just thought I would post a little update on the swarm I caught just short of 3 weeks ago.

Checked them on day 8 of hiving, could not see a queen or any eggs. Checked them again on the 14 th day, still no signs of either, but the beginnings of about 6 emergency cells. Anyway, I was told by a local beek that there would be no emergency cells without eggs. I insisted there were and he came down to check with me to make sure. Well, there were the beginnings of emergency cells, but no eggs and no queen. He was a bit baffled, but they obviously thought that they were queenless, panic building even with the absence of eggs. This would possibly explain why they were so aggressive a couple of weeks ago? Anyway, he gave me a frame of eggs that day, obviously so they could develop an emergency queen from one. I had a look today, hoping we missed the queen last time and she was out on a mating flight and that there would be some eggs, or at the very least a few Q cells. Neither :(. Dwindling number of bees too. Looks like this was a cast swarm and the queen didn't make it back. Looks to be a doomed colony now as this is the only hive with a colony that I have so cannot combine.

Oh well, if nothing else it has given me hands on experience and some drawn comb for the next lot! I caught one swarm, I can hopefully do it again before the end of the season. A good learning curve that has given me many positives to take from it and I am in no way dis-heartened. Disappointed yes, but keeping everything crossed for a swarm soon so I can hopefully combine. Just thought I would share to show not all goes to plan.

Last edited:
Put it up to your local association that you could take in a swarm or three....
I have got half a dozen new beeks started this season this way... and if the swarm bees do not perform, we can facilitate re queening!

Yeghes da

Yes ... not too late to give up on them ... there are still swarms about down here and whilst a swarm in July ain't worth a fly (it only means the honey crop) if you combine them with your doomed hive you could well have a nice colony to overwinter and a rampant raging hive by April that you will wish would STOP multiplying ....

Put it up to your local association that you could take in a swarm or three....
I have got half a dozen new beeks started this season this way... and if the swarm bees do not perform, we can facilitate re queening!
Might be worth a try, thanks.

Yeghes da

Yes ... not too late to give up on them ... there are still swarms about down here and whilst a swarm in July ain't worth a fly (it only means the honey crop) if you combine them with your doomed hive you could well have a nice colony to overwinter and a rampant raging hive by April that you will wish would STOP multiplying ....
I'm hoping so - fingers crossed for best case scenario!

not too late to give up on them ... a swarm in July ain't worth a fly.

Am I the only one starting the think of winter? (who says the glass is half full? :icon_204-2:)
I started moving strong 5 frame mating nucs into full 10 frame Langstroths this morning. They still have plenty of time to occupy the box naturally and I'll not need to feed much, if at all)

Last edited:
Am I the only one starting the think of winter? (who says the glass is half full? :icon_204-2:)
I started moving strong 5 frame mating nucs into full 10 frame Langstroths this morning. They still have plenty of time to occupy the box naturally and I'll not need to feed much, if at all)

Apparently not ...."if you combine them with your doomed hive you could well have a nice colony to overwinter"

Just had a look inside the hive again, and found this (it is hanging vertical it's the frame that's sideways). Sorry about the quality it was a video I took as I can't take a picture with my gloves on, so it was a snapshot of the video. Anyway, there was no sign of an emergency cell 5 days ago. It was 11 days ago since the frame of eggs was added. The cell isn't sealed as yet. Is there any chance they can raise a queen or should it have been sealed by now for them to have had a chance? The cell is half full of white, which I presume is royal jelly, and there was a bee with it's head inside when I lifted the frame out.

Is there a glimmer of hope or is the colony still definitely doomed? Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
in future I'd advise you to leave swarms boxed until at least 3 weeks, looking at 8 days and 14, it could have been this that lost you your queen, also, leave them in a nuc box until eggs are seen and all frames full, putting them into a hive is a bit much

in future I'd advise you to leave swarms boxed until at least 3 weeks, looking at 8 days and 14, it could have been this that lost you your queen, also, leave them in a nuc box until eggs are seen and all frames full, putting them into a hive is a bit much

The hive was dummied down - eagerness of being a beginner I suppose is the only reason I looked. You live and learn, thanks for the advice.
So what would be your opinion? Still 100% doomed or a slim chance of them rearing a queen?

A friend has just started beekeeping caught a swarm a month ago. Nice big queen. Looked this week and all brood is drone brood. Thinking we will have to give her the chop and add some capped worker brood to help keep the numbers up and give them some nurse bees, and add another frame with some eggs so they can make a new queen. I will source these from my hives. Fingers crossed it works and we can build it up to be a nice colony to take through the winter.

A friend has just started beekeeping caught a swarm a month ago. Nice big queen. Looked this week and all brood is drone brood. Thinking we will have to give her the chop and add some capped worker brood to help keep the numbers up and give them some nurse bees, and add another frame with some eggs so they can make a new queen. I will source these from my hives. Fingers crossed it works and we can build it up to be a nice colony to take through the winter.

That was my plan, but had to source from someone else's hive. I'm just concerned that the bees left the eggs too long before deciding to make a new queen. Hopefully someone will be along soon to tell me my hopes are not completely dashed yet...

Good luck with your plan.

Latest posts

Back